View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #192
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Last movie impressions

Saw Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, followed by Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, just before watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Seeing a pattern here?

Yes, after seeing the first Harry Potter some years back I decided to give this part of pop-culture a shot. Seeing as its ending now with 7-2 I got the entire set of movies out so far from a friend (who wants to remain anonymous) and might even watch the last one in the cinema. Maybe.

Watching all that in rapid succession leads to all movies joining in some kind of blur, so that I couldn't tell in which movie what exactly happened. Well, apart from the obvious, like matches of quiddich (or however you spell it) and the new teacher being cause of lotsa trouble, thus endangering the lives of students and the existence of the school as a whole. Not that health & safety aspects would be high on the priority list for hogwarth to begin with. Endangering teens and pre-teens seems to be the only way for teachers to gain some reputation in this parallel universe.

HP movies also suffer from serious cases of deus ex machina syndrome. Plus clumsy handling of time travelling including the nerdiest (and weirdest) use of time travel to date. It's all very quirky and... english. I also don't understand the fascination with those quiddich-games. They go on forever and who was ever surprised by the result? They are as easy to follow as cricket, a game that can go on for 3 to 5 days. I think cricket is also a game people start playing during a game of quiddich during the overly boring parts.

Well, it's the Order of the Phoenix next...