Thread: Review: VVVVVV
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Please rate my review for: VVVVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
Remember when games were absolutely unforgiving? The days when enemy AI didn't automatically get easier just because you sucked, or when you couldn't quick-save your way through a tough boss fight?
Yes, I was playing Demon's Souls just the other day

But don't use 'you' too much in a review. Write from your standpoint instead. You have no idea what background the reader has. How do you know that whoever reads this remembers the 'good old days'? How can you assume that your reader thinks the same about games from the 8 bit era as you do?

I don't care all that much for 6xV, since I'm pretty immune to 8 bit nostalgia. I also believe that having difficulty levels in most games are a good thing. One might now challenge me on my standpoint that Demon's Souls is the best game of this console generation and one of the best games ever made. But the difficulty in Demon's Souls did not come from cheap deaths. If you are aware of your surroundings you can prevent death quite often in DS. Before I sidetrack too much:

The review doesn't answer my question with many "hard" games where the difficulty comes from. Is it cheap deaths where you have to learn a certain pattern to finish a level? Is it like Demon's Souls that you have to explore and use different approaches to varying enemies? Does your survival depend on having reflexes like a chipmunk on ecstasy? Is it the Resident Evil 5 approach of being difficult because your alter ego feels more disconnected by the man-machine interface than necessary?

If a game's difficulty is a 'selling point', I want to know more about it before I dish out my cash for it.

Quote:
While being over a year old, this game has lost none of its charm.
What? Is it standard that a game which is more than 12 months old is suddenly utter charmless? Also I have no idea what 'hooey' means.

Also, I think you use brackets way too much (what's written in brackets could be another sentence perhaps?), which makes reading a bit difficult for me. When I see extensive use of brackets I always feel like the text is not structured well.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 05-19-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote