View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Re: Please Rate this Review: Fight Night Champion

Content wise, I felt this was a really well written piece of gaming input.
Quote:
With Fight Night Champion, EA takes a new approach to single player. Adding on to the standard, “create-a-boxer” mode from the game's predecessors, FNC introduces the titular “Champion Mode.” In a smart move by EA, Champion Mode serves two purposes, one of which is to tell a high-drama tale of a fictonal prospect, one Andre Bishop.

The story here is a crash course in boxing stereotypes. With actual and fairly accurate commentators, and the addition of Brian Kenny in the ESPN Boxing Studio, the high production values are an admirable attempt at creating a familiar story arc. I was able to recognize nearly every personality present in the world of boxing. But while this was entertaining for a boxing fan like myself, the story doesn't really stand up on its own. Perhaps its the result of the flat main character, which is unfortunate because it is the personality and character of the boxers themselves that keep boxing fans intrigued.
This is the one area that I feel could use a little work. You mention that there are "two purposes". The first purpose is the story, but not exactly clear what the second purpose is. Not that you have to say, "The second purpose is...", but I feel like you only mention one purpose the way things are currently written.