View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Golem
New Poster

Send a message via AIM to Golem
Re: Rate this 'article': Video Game Maps (i)

Good read, I also enjoyed it. It's been said that this piece doesn't challenge anything, but I'm hoping to see that in future articles.

If you've played any of Metroid, Metroid II, or Blaster Master, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on those titles. Those always occupied a happy medium, I thought.

Text games like Zork pretty much required you to draw out your own map--without visuals, there was pretty much no way to imagine how the game world fit together.

On the other hand, in games like Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night, maps are handed to you on a silver platter; even if you don't find in-game maps, the game generates a map for you as you go along.

In games like Metroid or Blaster Master, though, you have visuals, so you get a grasp on the space the game occupies without having to draw a map yourself. On the other hand, the game doesn't give you a map, so you're forced to learn the game's layout.

But anyway, I digress. I'm interested to hear what else you have to say on the matter of maps!
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote