View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #18
Zarmaka
New Poster

Re: Please Rate this Article: Melee Combat in the Current Gen

I totally agree with you about lock on. Personally, I think the only games in which locking on is cheap are shooters. Even among shooters, it'd only be cheap if the game was going for realism. Gunplay is a big part of Crackdown, but the action is so frantic that if you couldn't lock on, the game would get frustrating very quickly. Obviously it would take away some of the thrill in a game like Modern Warfare 2, but in shooters that have an "arcade" aspect to them, it works just fine.

Fighting games keep coming up in this discussion. I'm not a huge fan fighting games; the only ones that I truly enjoy are the Soul Calibur and Super Smash Bros. series. The reason I like those two is that there are more movement options. You can easily strafe and get good position in Soul Calibur, and in Smash Bros, there's a huge vertical element that you have to consider because you can jump so high, which adds a feeling of mobility you don't get with any other fighting game.

All the other fighting games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat) simply get on my nerves. It's too easy for a gamer of average skill to pick up the game for the first time and be completely awful. With other genres of game, you have other reasons to play, (story, atmosphere) but in fighting games, all there is is the combat, and if you don't feel like practicing for hours just so you'll survive in online multiplayer, then you won't have much fun. Sure, you can play offline, but once you've unlocked all the characters, who cares?
Zarmaka is offline   Reply With Quote