View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
Zarmaka
New Poster

Re: Please Rate this Article: Melee Combat in the Current Gen

Well, I'll tell you right now that it's typical for a fight in God of War to have six or seven enemies onscreen at once, and what I've seen of Bayonetta has had at most four.
Anyways, I don't think that the "kill ten enemies with one attack" method is the only way they could have established Kratos as a brutal, angry character. Obviously the character wouldn't work with a Demon's Souls-like combat system, but you could still get an equally angry, equally brutal vibe if you went more towards a Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry setup. Those games have similar combat, but feature a much more zoomed in camera, and the attacks hit fewer enemies at once.

Besides, the establishment of Kratos as a bloodthirsty berserker is done more by the overall gore level and the cutscenes than the combat itself. If Kratos fought one enemy at a time, but still ripped off its limbs or crushed its skull or ripped it in half when he was done, you would get the same emotional response. It might even be greater because the individual fight meant more.
Zarmaka is offline   Reply With Quote