View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
Zarmaka
New Poster

Re: Please Rate this Article: Melee Combat in the Current Gen

Joetbd, it's true that sometimes simple combat is very good. I liked the combat in the original Fable better than in Fable 2, but I'd need to play the first game again to properly articulate why.
One example of engaging, simple combat is the swordplay in Wii Sports Resort. It takes ten seconds to learn, but it's still a lot of fun, and the player really feels involved.
Also, I feel like you would like the combat in the Zelda games, primarily Twilight Princess. It's a little easy because the enemies attack like once every thirty seconds, but it feels good.

Crackajack, you make some good points. I haven't played Bayonetta, although I might give it a try at some point. You have a point regarding atmosphere of the game, since Bayonetta is clearly supposed to be extremely flashy and visually stimulating, so that type of combo system works there.

Something I would point out, however, is that what I've seen of Bayonetta combat (in videos) is from a much closer camera position, and features relatively small numbers of enemies. Also, Bayonetta's attacks seem to be more focused on taking out a single enemy at a time, rather than lashing out twenty feet ahead of you to attack the whole horde at once. If my theory holds true, then Bayonetta in principle would have more engaging combat then God of War.
Do you think that these design choices in Bayonetta (closer combat, fewer enemies, more specific attacks) lead to a less "awkward" gameplay experience (compared to God of War)?

P.S. Could you guys help me out by rating the thread? You don't have to give it a five, but it'd help draw attention to the discussion.

Last edited by Zarmaka; 07-02-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Zarmaka is offline   Reply With Quote