View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #58
Deadron
New Poster

Re: New People, Please Introduce Yourselves

I stumbled on the podcast a little while ago and am making my way through all the back episodes. After the repeated plugs for the quality of the forums, I figured it was time to check them out.

I'm a 40+ gamer who started playing games on homemade computers (Adventure!), VIC 20s, TRS-80s and Commodores. I got my first taste of programming with BASIC on TRS-80s (no kidding, I was walking a mile through the snow to get to the school computer, and spent the nights at home feverishly reading programming books).

As a result of this early corruption, I'm now a Senior Engineering Manager in Silicon Valley.

While I've always been a game player, left to my own devices I get obsessed with creating the thing I'm interested in, and I spent much of a decade doing amateur game development as a hobby. After not much response, I created a quite popular game on the site I was a part of, but I found that obsessive game development was detrimental to my job. In short, it turned me into a lousy manager.

So now I'm back to just gaming (at least until I retire!), and I'm intentionally using gaming as a hobby that allows me to relax and get my mind off work but that doesn't take over my brain and make me a bad boss (well, except for that stint as an Everquest guild leader in the early EQ days...)

So now I've confessed (some of) my sins...on to the forums!
Deadron is offline   Reply With Quote