View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #75
Unregistered

Re: Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization Tips FAQ Help Tricks Hints Cheats Strat

How can Sid put his name to this piece of cr*p?! I've been such a Civ fan from v1-4, but never tried Col, until now - I feel cheated and I want a refund.

I had played a few games and been roundly defeated by the King each time, so decided to search online for some basic tactics to further develop my own strategies. What I didn't expect to find was a way to cheat the system to win - which appears to be about the only way you have a hope of winning - does it give anyone satisfaction to beat the game like that?

I want to build an empire to be proud of, but this idea of sacrificing cities in order to take advantage of the relative attack/defence bonuses just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe this is the wrong game for me......perhaps I should just stick to Civ.

But....How can a strategy based game have so little strategy involved? Or should I say - 1 surefire winning strategy (0 bells) which is wholly unrealistic to the idea of this simulation and far from enjoyable to play through. Ok, so other strategies have been suggested - build only ships; occupy every marine square; etc, etc. Hmm does that sound exciting?

It doesn't feel like I'm using my brain to outwit anyone, rather just following a linear experience of doing this, then this, then this....Victory, ahem.

This truly is Civ IV's ghetto cousin! How can it get some reviews of 90%????? Monkeys!