View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Avptallarita

Rep Power: 15 Avptallarita is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun View Post
I read ... Foundation (Isaac Asimov) [MEGACUT]
Surprised by your reactions... I enjoyed Foundation a lot. I think it might just be a matter of taste, and if that's how you feel, you're unlikely to like the rest of Asimov very much. However, I'd still suggest you push through to the end of the original foundation trilogy. The third book is by far the best of them all. (There's something like other four books written in later years, but the only one which is somehow memorable is Forward the Foundation, and that's only because it's one of the few books Asimov ever wrote in which he allowed some real emotion to seep in. It's a very melancholic book, but it can't really be understood without reading at least Prelude to Foundation...)

But there's quite a few women in the other Foundation books, even though not that many in the original trilogy. Not to mention that one of the central human characters in the robot series is a woman, Susan Calvin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
And I'm about half way through A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. It's pretty funny and interesting, but after this I need to stop reading memoirs for at least a year.
MOST. BORING. BOOK. EVER.

Honestly, if Shun's taste is against Asimov, mine is against autobiographies of insignificant people. Eggers is just as much of a self-satisfactory wanker as, say, Joyce and Mann, but he's got none of their virtuosity to distract you a little from the boring story.

Really, if you're going to write the biography of your life, then at the very least go to war or in politics or something. (Remarque and Levi beat the shit out of all the above-named writers with his hands tied behind his back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotic View Post
Anybody read the Dune series?

What did you think of them as a whole, and what is Herbert trying to say or do with them?
I read the first book... when I was about 13. I started giving it a second read in later times, and I was surprised by the low quality of the writing. Having read LotR in the meantime hadn't helped. I have a very fond memory of Dune, much more so than of Tolkien, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was he was trying to "say". Unless you're looking for an Islamist message or something.

Last edited by Avptallarita; 02-11-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Avptallarita is offline   Reply With Quote