View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #1282
Snack Eater
64-bit Poster

Rep Power: 12 Snack Eater is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Snack Eater
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Juicebox View Post
I finished the Xbox 360 version of Bioshock last night. Great game overall, and an experience I was kinda down about wrapping up (for the first time in awhile, I found myself finishing a game before I was ready to put it down). I had heard talk prior to diving into this one that momentum is lost in the latter stages, but I didn't feel that way at all. If anything, the storylines just got a little overcomplicated and a few of the characters didn't get fleshed out as well as I would have liked. Even with that, though, my experience was well driven all the way up until the [read: lackluster] final battle and ending sequence.

I saved all the little sisters throughout the game, but I'm thinking about one day going back through and taking the opposite approach. Anyone that went that route have any comments about whether or not the ending was worth the trouble? Because I don't know about the rest of you, but the "good" ending was kinda... lame!

- EJ
My God, what dark, ominous collusion in the aether, for it seems we finished at the same time! (Putting it that way sounds both ornate and slightly dirty.) I don't think the later stages lost momentum, in fact I think I experienced a major spike of interest around the encounter with Andrew Ryan and the game actually started to cohere in a way I was thinking it wouldn't since the middle of the game felt like such a muddle. I too got the good ending, and I have mixed feelings about it (less said about that end boss the better, though). I actually thought it was kind of moving, but then the game ended so quickly that I had to ask myself if that was all there was to it--the ending seemed to be about the length and had the general tone of an expressionistic tampon commercial. You don't even get a decent credit roll with a potentially evocative musical choice, it just rudely jumps back to the menu like a dick. I think it's a kind of pandemic in American game design to have such half-assed endings.
-reading Infinite Jest (****)
Snack Eater is offline   Reply With Quote