GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Industry News (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Feature Posted: E3 2004 Report: Part 4 - Booth Babe Dialogues (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8028)

Dale Weir 06-30-2004 04:55 PM

New Feature Posted: E3 2004 Report: Part 4 - Booth Babe Dialogues

"Joy tells me she works several trade shows a month. We have to pause our conversation frequently as men approach to have their pictures taken with her. For each one she pulls out her sword and flourishes the blade while striking a pose. I ask if she's comfortable with so many guys posing with her. "It's weird when they put their arms around me," she replies, "but then I feel them shaking and I'm like, whatever, if it's so important to you . . . it's funny when guys come up to me and tell me that it's their first time touching a girl.""

You can read the rest here: http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/r...bes/page01.php

Nicato 06-30-2004 06:05 PM

Re: New Feature Posted: E3 2004 Report: Part 4 - Booth Babes Dialogues

Perhaps the greatest article on this website, ever.

As much as gc.com claims to offer a new perspective, rarely are any innovations exercised. It didn't help that the annual Booth Babes feature continued to undermine any creditability that was earned with the unique sckew on tried ideas. Here is different.

Finally, a shocking (while at the same time, unsurprising) look into the psyche of these poor girls...and who 'really' attends these trade shows.

The most refreshing E3 article I've read this year. Great job, Erin Bell.

EnduroGamer 06-30-2004 11:56 PM

That was definitely the most entertaining article on the E3 coverage. Way to go, Erin!

LemmyCaution 07-01-2004 08:33 PM

I have to chime in and agree. Wonderful article. More like this, and I'll cough up more money, even though I'm now living the impecunious life of a graduate student.

I wonder if there's room for a kind of game criticism that's a blend of review and ethnography?

Hypatia93 07-02-2004 08:21 AM

I, too, must join the bandwagon and say, "Excellent job, Erin!"

Your piece reminded me of the time an old grrlfriend and I went to our friend's bachelor party at a strip club. I was very young, and I'd never been to a flesh parlor before. To be frank, I was mostly bored by it all, and the first time I went to the bathroom that night, I found out that it doubled as the stripper's changing room! Well, I started conversations with these women about all manner of things from what they thought about their job to how dancing before men impacted their inner being. All in all, it was quite the eye-opening experience. I was so intrigued by the things these women shared, that I lost track of time and my grrlfriend ended up coming to see where I'd gone off to.

Again, a beautiful piece!

Song Jiang 07-03-2004 01:35 AM

Sheer excellence. This type of insightful, high quality, yet light-hearted writing is exactly what led me to financially support this site. I hope that many people post links to this article on other game sites; I'm sure that those gamers who can appreciate this article would make great new additions to the Gamecritics membership!

The phenomena of mass E3 "booth-babe" coverage was just waiting to be journalistically investigated, and I'm glad that this site, one of the only bastions of mature discussion of gaming on the web, has done its job!

Keep up the good work -

Havblue 07-03-2004 03:47 AM

Excellent work, Erin. It's refreshing to see that such a variety of different viewpoints were unearthed by "simply" taking an interest in other people. Congrats for letting the reality paint itself.

Now I just need to figure out whether I act too "enthusiastic and enamored" or not...

Dean_Siren 07-04-2004 01:27 AM

Re: New Feature Posted: E3 2004 Report: Part 4 - Booth Babe Dialogues

How would you contrast booth babes at E3 to cosplayers at anime conventions? From what I saw, cosplayers are comfortable with their image because they chose it themselves, and they get to do what they want at the convention.

I imagine that life will get worse for booth babes as video games and anime become more popular and attract more confident, macho guys.

GC_Erin 07-06-2004 11:14 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm honestly very touched at the overwhelming response to this piece. I had a lot of fun putting it together, and the squirtle now sits proudly on my bookshelf as a reminder ;)

Based on some of the responses I've read elsewhere, it seems that a fair number of people don't believe the comments about guys shaking as they posed with the babes. All I can say is, that was a recurring comment that more than one girl made to me, and I have no reason to believe that they were making it up.

Sometimes the truth hurts :p

EnduroGamer 07-06-2004 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean_Siren

I imagine that life will get worse for booth babes as video games and anime become more popular and attract more confident, macho guys.

I strongly disagree. The confident guys are used to being around beautiful women in social settings and don't find anything really worth stopping and gawking at. Sure, a revealing outfit on a sculpted body will give anybody reason to pause, but guys who are used to being around women like these outside of conventions aren't likely to act so shocked when they see them. I can only imagine that for a lot of the "shaker" guys at E3 :D, this is the only time when they are in an environment where they feel comfortabe approaching beautiful women without the risk of being shunned.

Sure, it's mean to say, but some guys need women who are paid to be polite in order for them to feel courageous enough to approach them. You know... that whole "basement dwelling, paranoid of girls, never see the sun" stereotype does exist for some guys out there and for them, booth babes may just be the first girls they touch. There's not a stereotype out there that doesn't have some small basis in reality.

Nicato 07-06-2004 07:10 PM

The "confident" (or perhaps I should call them cocky) guys are percisely the type to feel free to place their hand freely on the girl's hip and give a Snoop Dogg-esque "pimp" pose. I've seen the type, they walk around all day like their's is bigger--which of course, proves nothing.

Nicato 07-08-2004 09:33 PM

Endurogamer AKA 'Confident' Heartbreaker

I swear I didn't see this until after I posted the previous message:

Scorpion 12-26-2004 12:01 AM

Good Article. But, missing a couple of key points... Most gamers are averaging 16 years old male, slightly over weight, rarely get out and rarely "date". Or better yet, older versions of these guys... So, since you are a girl, Erin, these Booth Babes feel comfortable in talking with you about these details. ie. They can relate to you better.

I am a prettly cool guy(I think...), and I was there at E3 and spoke with a couple of these hot booth babes and of course all they are thinking is that I am trying to "pick them up" for after the normal working hours of the convention day.

Anyways, back to my original thought. I did find out that there is one company (who supply a lot of these booth babes -- eCastingCall.com --) that all they use are "real Gamer Booth Babes" I think that is totall awesome!! I spoke with one girl and she not only knows the game and she gave me comparisons between game graphics, details and even tricks in various games. In my opinion, these exhibitors should look to people like them to hire more 'experienced' gamer babes who not only look good but also know what the heck they are talking about. The combination of a well spoken gamer babe and their hot(well trimmed) physique had me sold. So, thumbs up to you guys at eCastingCall.com! Nice pictures of your 'spokemodels' hehe...

I asked her to come play the demo disc in my hotel room and she turned me down... oh well....