GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Next-Gen Console Games (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Best Games of 2013 (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25759)

Li-Ion 12-04-2013 06:51 AM

Best Games of 2013

Yes, it's that time of the year again. Supermarkets started playing cheesy x-mas-songs and I get flooded with ads telling me what my loved ones want me to buy them. It's also the time to think about the BEST GAMES of the year and seeing that the 'big guys' are mostly out... what are your picks?

My GOTY is still undecided, but as usual, I have plenty of categories apart from that:

Most disappointing
Bioshock: Infinite

Worst sequel
Rome 2 - Total War

Best expansion
XCOM Enemy Within

Most intriguing game that I can’t bring myself to buy
Fire Emblem - Awakening
(since I'd have to buy a 3DS first)

Most intriguing game I bought but can't bring myself to play
The Last of Us

Best game 2013 I might buy next year
TBA

Most anticipated 2014
Dark Souls 2

Biggest disagreement between me and the rest of the world
Bioshock: Infinite

Best use of Swords
Metal Gear Rising - Revengeance

Best made up word in game title
Revengeance

Medal of Honor "Tier 1" special price for best in-game beards
XCOM Enemy Within for the ability to let a purple cyborg with pink goatee fight the alien menace

Civilization "world war x" special price for game that made me realize I'm an awful person
Papers, Please

Best music
Metal Gear Rising - Revengeance

Best kickstarter
TBA

Worst kickstarter
Broken Age

Zanbatou 12-04-2013 11:20 AM

Re: Best Games of 2013

I'm right there with you on Bioshock: Infinite. I mentioned that I'd probably give the game a 4/10 if I had to rate it, and my friends started yelling at me. Like, actually yelling.

I'm also right there with you on Revengeance. The word, I mean. I still occasionally stop what I'm doing, shake my head and laugh. "heh... Revengeance."

Pedro 12-06-2013 11:06 AM

I love these lists :D

I also have not decided my GOTY, as I have a few candidates on PC yet to play (picked them up on sale last week so should be experiencing them soon).

However:

The Far Cry 3 Internet Got it Wrong Award

This has to be Beyond: Two Souls, a game I enjoyed so much that I finished it in two mammoth sittings. Apparently no one else agrees that it was good, with Eurogamer giving it a 5 and GameCritics a 4 out of 10(gasp!). I'm out on a limb here, but I think it was one of only two Triple A titles that actually delivered a Triple A game, with the other one probably being The Last of Us.

Best Game from a previous year

Miasmata, which I got in 2012 but which my PC would not play. What a game! Not for everyone, with its gameplay consisting of mapping your surroundings, solving a mystery, trying not to succumb to fever, and trying not to get monsterized by the creeping horror on your tail. Tense and rewarding, would have been my #1 last year if I had managed to play it.

Biggest Surprise

Bioshock Infinite, which I had precisely zero hopes for. However I got it on sale 6 months later and enjoyed a hype-free game for what it was - a fun shooter in a beautiful theme park.

which holds the award jointly with:

Bulletstorm, which was a fun, fun game, with my favourite FPS level ever (perhaps I am easily amused).

Honorary Runner Up:

A Valley Without Wind.

Best In-game Beards

I played no game with Beards this year

Most Disappointing

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut

Best Music

Hotline Miami

Best Sports Game

Out of Top Spin 4, MLB The Show 13, Fifa 13, Out of the Park Baseball 14, Madden 25, and NFS Most Wanted (?) - MLB The Show 13.

The Showing Appreciation for Online Names Award

KRIMINAL_RASTA, who was playing LotR: War in the North. I wonder if he'll be checking out The Hobbit next week with his mum?

Arty Farty Award for Not Much Happening in a Game

Proteus

Worst Game

Tomb Raider 2013. Just not worth playing really. Nothing interesting about it.

Pedro 12-07-2013 07:57 AM

Well, I was counting on Mike Bracken to back me up on Beyond Two Souls, he being the Gamecritics with the most normal tastes IMO, but it appears from his twitter this morning that he hated it too. :(

Li-Ion 12-11-2013 06:41 AM

Best game of 2013 I might buy next year
Fire Emblem: Awakening (I am seriously considering to buy a 3DSXL)

Best game mechanic
"Family" in Papers Please

Most annoying enemy
Sectopod in XCOM Enemy Within

Best game premise
Dragon Commander - seriously, if being a shapeshifting Dragon with Jetpack conquering a steampunk world doesn't sound like fun, what does?

Best mobile game for 5 minute bursts at the bus stop
Sid Meier's Ace Patrol

Late to the party-award for game I should have played years ago
Knights of the Old Republic 2

crackajack 12-12-2013 05:28 AM

I hope i haven't mixed some 2012 activity in here.

My GOTY
Velocity Ultra

My LTTP GOTY
GT5

Best mediocre Game
Unit 13

Most disappointing
Jak and Daxter or BF3

Worst sequel
Crysis 2
(i actually still liked it!)

Best expansion
RE5 Gold: Lost in Nightmares

Most intriguing game that I can’t bring myself to buy
Dark Souls

Most intriguing game I bought but can't bring myself to play
Batman AC

Best game 2013 I might buy next year
The Last of Us

Most anticipated 2014
The Order 1886

Biggest disagreement between me and the rest of the world
The Far Cry 3 Internet Got it Wrong Award
Rayman Origins

Best music
Lumines Electronic Symphony

Biggest Surprise
Puddle

Worst Game
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus or MGS HD Collection

Best game mechanic
Guacamelee! or Virtue's Last Reward

WTF-Award for atrocious design
Touch my Katamari

Backlog can wait Award
Ecolibrium

God damn it, get your act together Award
Sony
For resetting my password without notifying me via mail or message on PS3/Vita.
Nothing wrong with resetting, when their new network security happens to notice some suspicious activity, but tell those customers when you did something because of that.

Pedro 12-15-2013 05:40 AM

Crackajack

It would be interesting to see how your views differ on Dark Souls from myself, Li-Ion and Brad. Brad said on a podcast that the open world thing just did not work for him - that you couldn't believe that all these bosses and factions were 'smooshed into the same small world like a chocolate layer cake'.

You will have to check it out some time.

Worst Game of the Year
The full page ads on RPS reminded me - I want to change my vote from Tomb Raider to Kenshii. It is an un-game. Even more so than Tomb Raider. Buyer beware.

Weird Podcast of the Year
Dylan's ousting was a weird one. I re-listened to his podcasts over the last while on my commute and he was great.
However, I have to give this to the Sports Game podcast, in which none of the panellists seemed to have played a sports game in the last 10 years (slight exaggeration, not much) and even when they did, they uniformly cheated, cheesed, and acted the bloody maggot for the entire game :p Never change, GameCritics.

Speculation on the GameCritics game of the Year

This could be potentially very interesting, given the new blood in the podcast.

What we know:

Brad's choice usually wins, with support from Mike and/or Daniel.
You can win with two votes.
Chi and Richard are usually split along similar but different lines.
The winner is usually a zombie game.

Speculation:

So, ZombieBrad is in the running with a strong stable of zombie games this year. TLOU, State of Decay, loads of other shit no doubt.
Daniel, though his review read negatively, gave TLOU an 8/10.

So TLOU is an early leader for me, with the potential to only need one vote from Dan/Mike and possibly get two.

State of Decay is a strong contender, but will rely on the other two having played it. Dunno if they have.

From a Chi/Richard point of view, a lot hinges on whether Michael Cunningham is on the Xmas podcast (probably not?), in which case it could be some obscure JPRG taking the honours (Chi + Michael).

But there is also a wild card this year, in Sinan. No idea what he likes, but I think he's firmly in the JRPG camp, so we could easily see something along the lines of Pokemon X+Y being voted in.

Richard has only really played LoL this year, from what I can tell, so his vote may not be worth much.

Wait....I'm pretty sure he has played the latest Batman game, and it could garner support from Brad and Dan....so that could be a favourite too.

An interesting year then. I'm guessing

1. TLOU
2. Batman
3. Obscure JRPG/DS game
4. State of Decay

crackajack 12-19-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro (Post 210565)
Crackajack

It would be interesting to see how your views differ on Dark Souls from myself, Li-Ion and Brad.

I have played (or rather tried) the DaS2 PS+ Demo. Didn't differ to me much to DeS. I still loved the core gameplay and the overall design. I hated the merciless death marathon despite the bonfires supposedly making it easier.

Never again will i go through hours of hell for some moments of victory.

Li-Ion 12-20-2013 06:02 AM

One game just stomped its way onto my top list this year (stealthily):

Best Kickstarter
République

Best Mobile Game
République

Game that shows that touchscreen controls can work and don't suck by default
République

Zanbatou 12-20-2013 04:19 PM

Longest Played
Skyrim, for the third year in a row. I just hit the three hundred hour mark a few weeks ago, and there's still no end in sight.

Favorite Character
Vilja, from a Skyrim mod. I love ambitious fan projects, and Vilja is one of the coolest I've seen. Someone spent years creating a new companion for Skyrim with over 5000 lines of context appropriate dialog, her own storylines and quests, and surprising new AI features.

Most Fun To Watch
StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm. I tried again this year, but I don't think I'll ever be good enough at this game to pull off the strategies that are in my head. It's still a lot of fun watching other people innovate though.

Best Enemy
Thin Men from XCOM: Enemy Within. Just the way they move around the map is so creepy and perfect. And if you play the game on impossible, those thin men become an enemy worth being scared of. When you see a Thin Man, you know someone is about to die.

Most time spent on character creation screens
XCOM: Enemy Within, to make every single loss that much more painful.

The Internet is Wrong Award
Bioshock Infinite. The amount of praise this game got when it was released really worried me. It seems like fervor has died down though.

My 2013 Game of the Year
Gone Home. This is perhaps the first game I've ever played where I can't think of a single thing I would change about it, and nothing I would want to add. It only lasts three hours, it tells a relatively simple story, and it doesn't have much in the way of gameplay... but what it does it does perfectly.

gamevet 12-20-2013 10:54 PM

I haven't really bought a whole lot of newer games on the consoles this year. I didn't pick up The Last of US, even though I do want to play it, Beyond 2 Souls doesn't interest me and latest version of Gears of War is way off of my gaming radar. What I did pick up was GTAV, which really doesn't disappoint, and today I got Diablo III for my PS3.

My PC got a lot of gaming love this year. I picked up Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Star Craft II: Heart of the Swarm and Metro: Last Light. It's been a pretty good year for PC gaming.

Best Graphics

Crysis 3 (PC): Crytek has flexed their programming muscles once again, with the latest chapter in the Crysis series. The story is ho-hum, but the weapons selections and level designs are pretty good. Still, the game is more of a glorified tech demo, with very little replay value.

Battlefield 4 (PC) gets the honorable mention.

Most Disappointing Console of the Year

Wii U: Nintendo had a 1 year head-start on the competition and has pretty much laid an egg. The console continues to falter at retail, with its highest profile game being another Mario title. 3rd parties have pretty much ran for the exits as well.

The Vita gets the (dis)honorable mention, with its lack of software and somewhat flat sales.

Gaming Platform of the Year

PC: Gaming PC hardware has become very affordable in the past couple of years ,and with the competition between NVidia and AMD, the prices for a decent video card have dropped significantly after release. Steam has a huge selection of solid titles at very reasonable prices, and the overall selection of games for this year has been pretty good.

The PS3 gets my honorable mention, with Sony's 1st and 2nd party studios putting out solid games like The Last of Us, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD and Gran Turismo 6. Sony has also established a lot of 3rd party exclusives on disc and through PSN.

Game of the Year

SCII - Heart of the Swarm: I really love the Star Craft titles.;They offer excellent level design and excellent replay value. The latest chapter did not disappoint.

My honorable mention goes to GTAV. Yeah, everyone likes to put this game on a pedestal, but the game does offer a lot of playtime, even though the story and play mechanics aren't that great. It's a great time-killer with a lot things to do to pass the time, and who doesn't like to play the Trevor levels?

I just checked out Adam Sessler's choices for GOTY. He has some pretty interesting choices. I'd like to check out Gone Home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmoNJISBPdY

Pedro 12-21-2013 05:59 AM

It's funny, in previous years I've voted for my best game and I've included games that are nice, that are beautiful, that are interesting or have nice concepts, without necessarily being must-play games. You know the sort - indies can be a bit precious, while triple A can be uninspired. Where is the addictive gameplay?

This year I'm really happy to say that all of my top three are games that when I finished a session, I could not wait to get back to them. Instead of grudgingly turning on the console or PC and looking with a jaundiced eye at my games list, I was staying up far too late to keep playing, or was sitting at work wondering if I could sneak home an hour early to get back to these games. They are, in reverse order:

3. State of Decay
Wonderful game, with some flaws. It dragged a little at the end, as missions repeated, but also provided you a critical path to the end of the game when you reached the point where you were fed up rescuing survivors, searching for resources, upgrading your base, or hunting the big-bad zombie types.

2. Hotline Miami PS3
Amazing action-puzzler. Not much more to say.

1. Beyond: Two Souls
What can I say? Slated by everyone, it doesn't look like this will even be a game where it will be remembered fondly in a few years. I think its reception was coloured to a large extent by it being fashionable to hate on Mr Cage, though obviously there are reviewers I respect that didn't like it either. I think everyone is dead wrong - I found it both tremendously silly, and tremendously affecting, with possibly the most sympathetic character I've seen in a game so far. And proper role playing for a lot of it too. Incredible.

abfackeln 12-21-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Li-Ion (Post 210580)
One game just stomped its way onto my top list this year (stealthily):

Best Kickstarter
République

Best Mobile Game
République

Game that shows that touchscreen controls can work and don't suck by default
République

I was playing that this morning. Pretty good so far. I am looking forward to playing more over my vacation.

abfackeln 12-21-2013 02:00 PM

My Best of 2013 post will be revised and altered. but for now…

GotY: GTA 5 *dodges rocks from GameCritics community*

Runner up: Mario 3D World

Most disappointing: Bioshock Infinite

Best Reboot: Tomb Raider

Reboot that I like the interwebs did not: DMC

Platform of the year: 3DS

Best game I played too much for, but I don't care: Killer Instinct

Games that I own that I still need to play:

Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance
Last of Us
Fire Emblem
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Mario & Luigi

Just bought:
The Stanley Parable
Paper, Please
Gone Home

Other games I liked:

Tearaway
Pikmin 3
Max
Zelda Link Between Worlds
Luigi's Mansion
Animal Crossing

gamevet 12-21-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanbatou (Post 210581)
Longest Played
Skyrim, for the third year in a row. I just hit the three hundred hour mark a few weeks ago, and there's still no end in sight.

Actually, it's been 2 years since the game's release. ;)

I'm with you on that; I've played about 240 hours of the game on my PS3. I just picked up the PC version (Legendary Edition) today and plan on adding all of the custom mods, before giving this game another run-through.