GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Industry News (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So... the XBox One then... (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25635)

Li-Ion 05-22-2013 10:01 AM

So... the XBox One then...

I was not all that excited after the PS4 reveal. But in hindsight that was quite the party. Now we know how the new Xbox is called. One. Since going from 360 to 1 makes total sense when most consumers don't even understand that Wii and WiiU are different things. At least one is a step forward, while 360 or 720 just signal rotating in place.

The reveal in a nutshell:

At least we know how the box looks like. The Xbox 1 looks like a VHS recorder from the mid 80ies.

If your competitor's stock goes up when you reveal your latest and greatest in home entertainment, there might have something gone wrong.

My personal highlight was the mocap dog for callodudy. But is it really a good sign for advanced AI when fish get out of your way? Is this 2013 or 1993? The first Unreal boasted advanced AI that was more impressive than... evading fish.

So, where are the console selling exclusive games? Forza which didn't show gameplay. Halo? There will be a tv series. Gears? MIA. Sorry but I don't buy a games console for watching tv and playing fantasy football.

QXZ 05-22-2013 10:11 AM

Re: So... the XBox One then...

I currently have no interest in this upcoming generation of consoles, but I have to ask:

"Xbox One"? Seriously?

I can imagine several people telling their roommates and/or siblings, "I got a new Xbox One game!" Cue someone who breaks out an original model Xbox that's been collecting dust since 2004.

RandomRob 05-22-2013 04:40 PM

death to consoles

Li-Ion 05-22-2013 05:27 PM

:D I'm not that grim at this point but I really wonder why I should buy either of these next generation consoleboxes and not just upgrade my wonderful gaming pc instead?

RandomRob 05-22-2013 07:34 PM

Jim Sterling said the same of the Xbox one unveil.. with all the compulsory DRM and making used games unplayable, Microsoft is painting themselves into a corner. That is, the only people who can afford to pay for the system and games will be people who can already afford a better gaming PC.

abfackeln 05-22-2013 11:09 PM

Can a system be dead before arrival?

Okay, it probably will sell alright, but after a reveal that bad I think PS4 already has a strong head start.

At least we got a good laugh out of it. This is something for the history books of what not to do.... TV

Rob, I think you'll have your wish after this generation.

Li-Ion 05-23-2013 03:05 AM

hm... perhaps I should rename this thread "is the next console generation DOA?" ;)

So far I don't really see anyone not being a Microsoft employee being excited about that new console. They have to show the best games of all times ever at E3 in order to get people on board. But I guess it will be mostly games about men shooting men. Like calloduty ghost. A game by a dev so full of itself, they do like they just invented a teleportation device when showing stuff that's around for ages. Like leaning, which was in the pc version of modern warfare 1, was cut out in modern warfare 2 for no reason and is now shown as a killer feature. Bravo...

abfackeln 05-23-2013 08:36 AM

You know it is bad when the person who bought a Wii U doesn't want a Xbox One.

Pedro 05-23-2013 12:24 PM

I laughed when I saw the Leaning thing. My god.

The presentation was too North America-centric, the rest of the world was essentially excluded from the cable TV thing and the fantasy sports thing, so what was left? Very short sighted on MS's part. Incredible really.

I'm sure they'll recover, and I'm 100% convinced that Sony have something similar on the used games front that they have kept quiet for now. They'll be able to sweeten that pill though, as they have the streaming of older games tech to fall back on in a kind of, "yes, we're taking X away, but giving you Y" type deal.

JLB1987 05-23-2013 09:51 PM

Even ignoring how awful the machine looks, and the new tax on second-hand gaming MS are trying to impose, I can't buy a console with such a stupid name. I'm out.

gamevet 05-27-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Li-Ion (Post 210003)
:D I'm not that grim at this point but I really wonder why I should buy either of these next generation consoleboxes and not just upgrade my wonderful gaming pc instead?

That's what I did. I picked up an EVGA GTX 670 FTW (pretty much a 680 with less Cuda cores) video card for $330, after a $20 mail-in rebate. It's better than spending $500 on a console that will barely do 720p.

I plan on sticking it our on my PS3 and 360 until the fall of 2014. Until then, my next-gen gaming will be on my PC.

RandomRob 05-27-2013 06:39 PM

Checkpoint dissed the Xbone... also that bit about the Kinect watching you all the time is f-ing creepy!

abfackeln 06-08-2013 12:48 PM

This was bound to happen:

Pedro 06-09-2013 11:40 AM

Nice! I think the HAL thing has been in all our subconsciousnesses :)

Li-Ion 06-09-2013 03:16 PM

Apart from the HAL connection, the XBone does look a bit like the monolith in 2001.