GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports Talk (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How popular is Cricket & Rugby in the UK? (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25597)

abfackeln 04-28-2013 01:34 PM

How popular is Cricket & Rugby in the UK?

For the people who live in that region, how popular are those sports? Just curious.

Information on the EPL and football in other areas is easily available on mainstream sports websites in the US, but we never hear about rugby and cricket.

The US have some official Rugby teams and the sport has a niche audience. Cricket is almost unheard of, although we know of it.

Pedro 04-29-2013 01:03 PM

Re: How popular is Cricket & Rugby in the UK?

Have you watched either at all?

Cricket: it's been a while since I followed it, but there are several levels. There is County Cricket, which pits different counties against each other (the County is the lowest professional level), the games last several days, and is followed mostly by the elderly and the unemployed (not really but those are the only people that can generally devote a day to following a game).

What is very popular is One Day cricket, which has an entire game played in one day, with each team bowling 40 (or 60, not sure) overs. An over is the delivery of 6 balls (like 6 pitches in baseball).

There is a more recent arrival called 20Twenty, which is a high powered version of this, with each team only bowling 20 overs and the emphasis is on offense.

All these formats relate to the international games as well, where the big money is. So you have England V Australia, India, Sri Lanka etc. A Test Match between nations takes 5 days to complete :)

Not really qualified to talk about rugby. There are two types - rugby league is concentrated in the north of England amongst the working class (and Australia), and rugby union is more of the Hooray Henry types but is massively more popular.

The big local competition is the European Cup, and there are two French teams in the final this year, which is being held in Dublin. Internationals are dominated by the southern hemisphere teams - New Zealand, Aus, Seth Efrica. There's a big competition in the northern hemisphere called the Six Nations, which includes the major rugby nations - Scotland, Wales, Ireland, England, France, Italy. Wales won that this year.

Edit: to answer your question, cricket is very popular at an international level, and rugby union is pretty popular at club level and massively popular at international level.

abfackeln 05-01-2013 10:42 AM

I watched a little bit of a Sri Lanka cricket match on the ESPN app on the 360. Not enough to fully understand it.

I would say that a game that lasts a few days is weird, but that really isn't much different than a baseball series. When two teams play multiple games over a few days. I have a hard time following Baseball too. Way too many games to keep up with. Although I watched a pretty good game a few weeks ago.

There was an international rugby competition in Las Vegas in February that I spent the entire day watching on TV (I was sick). I understood and enjoyed it.

Wish I could live in Europe for a little while to experience these sports with the proper fans. I did get to see a Real Madrid vs Barcelona match (on a tv in a restaurant) while I was in Barcelona. I was going to see a match in Madrid a few days later, but it was way too expensive and I didn't know if I was getting ripped off.

Pedro 05-02-2013 03:29 PM

Yeah, I've been to see both Barcelona and Madrid and the tickets were expensive. I'm sure there is a way to get the cheaper tickets but as a tourist it's sometimes hard to do. I also went to a Fiorentina game and it was dead cheap.

Cricket is a really fascinating game; the emphasis is on conservative play (line and length) and letting the batter make a mistake, most often, so it doesn't translate well to video games. However:

http://www.cricketgames.me/stick-cricket/

Jonah Lomu Rugby is apparently the best rugby videogame.

I on the other hand, am fed up of our traditional sports and almost exclusively watch baseball and American football these days. I'm watching the Padres v Cubs right now. We can't even beat the Cubs :(

abfackeln 05-02-2013 07:10 PM

I probably could have seen a Fiorentina game since I was in Florence too. Beautiful city although my trip to Italy was a mixed bag.

It is easy to get tired of a sport if you are over-saturated with it.

That is kind of how I am with American Football. They talk about it 24/7/365 even though the regular season only lasts 4 months. It is a good sport, but I don't like the fans.
Never call soccer "football" to them either. They don't understand how a game played by kicking a ball with a foot can be called football.

In the southeast USA college sports is bigger than the pros. The fans can get pretty angry with each other. It is a lot like football fans in England, but maybe not that bad.

Pedro 05-04-2013 02:12 PM

Yeah, I'd imagine the coverage of NFL gets overwhelming - I used to tune in for gameday morning during the season but then didn't bother any more about 10 games in - it was all a bit much. Still, the NFL season has the advantage of being a short regular season etc.

Have you seen Peter Skerrit's article on the main page about EA Sports abandoning the Wii U? I'm guessing you don't play sports games on your U anyway, but do you think it's dead in the water?

Madden 13 only sold 400,000 copies on the Wii last year, with its huge user base, so it makes sense that they won't bother with a console that has very few owners. If it loses Fifa as well, that looks very bad though.

abfackeln 05-05-2013 09:56 PM

EA Sports abandoning a console is defiantly a bad sign. No matter if someone is interested in sports games or not.

I am not sure if the Wii U is completely dead in the water. I bet Nintendo has a few things up their sleeve that will be revealed around E3.

To core gamers the Wii U will be like the GameCube and the original Wii. They'll buy it for the first party games.

I doubt that the Wii U will have the same appeal to the casual audience as the original did. The casual market moved on to playing games on tablet and phones. The fact that Kinect (and Move) didn't blow-up like the Wii is a sign that no one really cares about motion controls.

The next year or two will be Nintendo's true test if they can stay in the console business. I think consoles as we know it will change (or go away) anyways after the next-gen.

Pedro 05-06-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abfackeln (Post 209920)
I doubt that the Wii U will have the same appeal to the casual audience as the original did. The casual market moved on to playing games on tablet and phones. The fact that Kinect (and Move) didn't blow-up like the Wii is a sign that no one really cares about motion controls.

The next year or two will be Nintendo's true test if they can stay in the console business. I think consoles as we know it will change (or go away) anyways after the next-gen.

Agree. The whole motion thing is a bust (though it was actually good for Tiger Woods!) and it's difficult for me to see Nintendo surviving in this space on the strength of their own games. Still, I hope they make some smart moves to help them get through it.