GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Late to the Party (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   PS2 hidden gems & underrated games (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20510)

RandomRob 11-18-2012 08:51 AM

PS2 hidden gems & underrated games

It's no secret I've been abandoning the current game scene to catch up on some older titles I missed. Want to use this thread to highlight and/or discuss some older titles that I feel have aged well-

Crimson Tears-

been playing this recently. For a dungeon-crawler, it's got the goods. Lots of variety to the combat system and weapon creation. Great presentation and music. Well worth picking up from the bargain bin. :cool:

Add your own suggestions to this thread!

RandomRob 11-18-2012 12:24 PM

Re: PS2 hidden gems & underrated games

Flipnic ultimate pinball-

Great, trippy pinball game that takes place on impossible, oversized tables :cool:

RandomRob 11-18-2012 04:28 PM

Ar Tonelico 2

some of the best music and art I've ever seen in a jrpg. Love this game, love it. :cool:

RandomRob 11-19-2012 07:12 AM

Ghosthunter-

barely heard a peep about this game when it came out, and it is so much fun! Still looks great in hi-def.

Li-Ion 11-21-2012 07:04 AM

Beyond Good & Evil, obviously. There has been a HD version on consoles, but the PC version always supported higher resolutions. The graphics style has aged well and it's still a great game that many never played because it looks fairly childish with the anthropomorphous pig and all that. It also doesn't feature guns. Most of the shooting is with a camera here.

Pedro 11-21-2012 01:39 PM

That GhostHunter game looks very good indeed. Are any of these available on PSN I wonder?

I have Beyond Good and Evil somewhere but have only played 5 mins of it :o

RandomRob 11-21-2012 03:30 PM

Ghosthunter is surprisingly good

RandomRob 12-09-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro (Post 203357)
That GhostHunter game looks very good indeed. Are any of these available on PSN I wonder?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_Engine

PS3's don't have the EMOTION chip anymore, so I don't think there will be many, if any, PS2 titles on PSN.. unless they reverse engineer and re-write them from the top down, and that can take a long time.

RandomRob 12-09-2012 03:46 PM

Pirates: the Legend of Black Kat

ordered this today- it's a nice, streamlined pirate arcade adventure game. I remember this game had solid controls, pretty artwork, and the sea battles were alot of fun. Exploration was a little on the quiet side, but I liked that.

RandomRob 12-15-2012 06:07 PM

Stolen

Another late, quality title. Stealth and theft with lockpicks, EMPs, sonar goggles and other hi-tech tools. Refreshingly non-combative in design. Guards are a little stupid, but it doesn't take too much away from the fun of sneaking around.

abfackeln 12-16-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomRob (Post 203801)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_Engine

PS3's don't have the EMOTION chip anymore, so I don't think there will be many, if any, PS2 titles on PSN.. unless they reverse engineer and re-write them from the top down, and that can take a long time.

You been away from the PS3 way too long. There are around 40 PS2 titles on PSN now. I downloaded Persona 3 Fez and Odin Sphere for $5 a few weeks ago.

None of these titles (except Beyond Good & Evil HD) is on PSN. I thought I was near completion with my PS2 collection. I guess not.

RandomRob 12-17-2012 07:50 AM

that's cool- looking now! I would definitely download Ring of Red if you've never tried it, it's great.

I wonder if these titles on PSN use the Emotion engine, I'm betting they don't..? Otherwise I would expect to see Final Fantasy X, Ridge Racer, Okami, etc as downloads. Why have PS2 downloads but skip the flagship properties if you didn't have to?

Of course, this IS Sony we're talking about :p

**a word about 'Stolen' - it took me 2.5 hours to finish the first mission, and I got a D rating, lol. The game really expects you to make full use of it's tools. I may have another go at it today to see if I can do better. It's really a good looking game.

abfackeln 12-17-2012 11:37 AM

Okami is on PSN as Okami HD. FF X HD was announced awhile ago, but has not been released yet. Probably takes a lot of work in the back end to get it to work.

RandomRob 12-17-2012 12:54 PM

from the Emotion Engine wiki-

The primary use of the Emotion Engine was to serve as the PlayStation 2's CPU. The first SKUs of the PlayStation 3 also featured an Emotion Engine on the motherboard to achieve backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 games. However, the second revision of the PlayStation 3 lacked a physical Emotion Engine in order to lower costs, performing all of its functions using software emulation performed by the Cell Broadband Processor, coupled with a hardware Graphics Synthesizer still present to achieve PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility. In all subsequent revisions, the Graphics Synthesizer was removed, with no software emulation to replace it.

I guess if this is true, it means any title that specifically used the Emotion Engine would have to be decompiled and then recompiled for the Cell processor. Seems like a major coding headache-

gamevet 12-19-2012 10:38 PM

Stolen looks interesting.

The PS2 has a nice port of the Japanese Dreamcast game, Culdcept. It's a pretty cool board game.