GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   PC Games & Hardware Help (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Diablo 3 (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19517)

ckzatwork 05-24-2012 02:28 PM

Diablo 3

Who's playing it?

I'm a level 8 Monk, still on Act 1.

Give me your BattleTags™!

Li-Ion 05-24-2012 03:58 PM

Re: Diablo 3

I finished it on normal, my lvl 35 barbarian is currently act 1 on nightmare. Also started every class except witch doctor.

Makariel#1144 (EU servers)

ckzatwork 05-24-2012 04:58 PM

Thanks for the tag, Li-Ion. We are always playing the same games. :P

I'm enjoying it tremondously.

ckzatwork 05-25-2012 05:41 AM

Li-Ion, have you experienced any lag? The game works super fluidly. I have no idea what people are talking about.

Li-Ion 05-25-2012 05:57 AM

I had plenty of lag, apart from all the error 37 issues about which I was complaining in another thread already. Sometimes I have to log on multiple times or quit entirely, because the lag is so bad it's unplayable. Especially now that I'm on nightmare, where I already encountered the first couple minibosses with ridiculous skill-combinations that can stun/fear and then smash my barbarian in a couple of hits if I'm not careful. One particularly annoying skeleton cast fear on me almost constantly, had extra health and healing. Without my own stuns I would have never been able to smash him to dust, unless the companion AI would have suddenly become competent (very unlikely).

On normal there is no difficulty curve to speak of. However, there are some brick walls that I hit where the game just threw so many enemies at me that at some point my health-pool was not large enough. But the only boss who gave me trouble and needed one than more try was Belial. But that was probably because my equipment was rubbish most of the times. For large parts I ran around with white (non-magical) weapons. Once the auction house worked I could buy better gear, now I'm feeling I have halfway decent stuff.

Li-Ion 05-29-2012 04:03 AM

I am now on nightmare difficulty with my level 48 barbarian and I start getting bored. I can illustrate one of the problems in pictures:

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/3352/arya10.jpg
level 10

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9820/arya18.jpg
level 18

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4123/arya29.jpg
level 29

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2276/arya35.jpg
level 35

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6994/arya44.jpg
level 44, but still looks the same at 48

The only difference of my barbarian, apart from the weapon she carries, is that I used dye to change some colors. The Armor is exactly the same for the last 13 levels.

I picked up tons of loot. White, blue, yellow, doesn't matter. Not a single piece of armor I picked up for the last 10 hours I played was as good as what I am already wearing. And by that I mean useful for my character. I find ton's of rare weapons and armor with bonus for intelligence. Too bad I don't play a wizard. The secondary stats on the pieces are usually useless for wizards, like +strength or the generally pointless "increase gold pickup by 2 yards". Hence it doesn't sell in the auction house.

I could buy some armor in the auction house you say? Spendid idea! But wait, there is one important problem: most people don't have a buyout-option and those who have want a stupid amount of gold for a slightly better pair of boots than I already wear. Most auctions I find either run out in the middle of the night, where I can't just sit there and refresh to make sure no night-owl takes away my presumed bargain, or they run out in 2 days. In 2 days I'll be of much higher level already, hence the slightly better piece of armor which will cost me a fortune will be out of date.

ARPG like Diablo rely on steadily growing numbers. Increasing levels, increasing damage, increasing armor, increasing amounts of enemies. If at some point this process of gearing up stops, it shows how hollow the game actually is. At nightmare it's still not difficult. I die quite often, but that's not a result of difficulty. It's because the game has plenty of cheap deaths. Since everything is random, it can happen (and to me it happens quite often) that one rather small room contains three packs of champions and minibosses, with insane combinations of powers.

For example one room with a pack which could fear my character and did so constantly. The second pack had the ability 'waller', which build a wall around me which prevented me from getting anywhere, while being feared, hence having no control over my character. The third pack had the ability 'mortar', which does what it says on the can and rained a continuous volley of fireballs on me. I have more than 10.000 hitpoints at that point and have a ability that reduces magical damage by 20%. That didn't help me from being stuck and watch as my health-globe dissipated within a second.

Often there is no tactic I can use to prevent me dying. What I did in some cases was charging into the middle of the pack, fire all my abilities, use 'earthquake' (which does massive damage and continues to do so even after I'm dead) and hope that at least one of them dies. Rinse, repeat.

ckzatwork 05-29-2012 01:49 PM

Since you're showing off your character, I'm pasting mine (yes, I'm playing it in French).

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9914/semnomem.jpg

The dialogue and story is so cliche and stupid that I just couldn't take it and change it to French - to give a sense of freshness to the voices.

I'm quite hooked but really don't have the time to play a game like this. The auction house lately is filled with the same super high level super expensive items and I can't find anything that suits me. Really, I don't care. I never think about becoming a super powerful warrior in these type of games. I like to survive with the stuff I find.

But I don't need anything rare because the game is unbelievably easy on normal difficulty. I barely use any spirit attacks. Left clicking is, most of the times, enough to step on the avalanches of enemies.

It was nice to play with you, Li-on, even if just for 50 minutes or something. :(

Li-Ion 05-30-2012 08:12 AM

I'm done with nightmare. My barbarian Arya smashed Diablo into the abyss again.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9613/arya49.jpg

I finally found out that I can set a buyout-limit and within minutes I had way better equipment and suddenly tricky enemies became laughably easy.

All in all the game was much more interesting on nightmare than on normal difficulty, but the gear-issue remains. It's apparently part of the game that one should grind a bit until better items drop. With those new items the same area that caused curses and shouts suddenly becomes incredibly easy.

The grind can be circumvented via some bargains in the auction house. But an odd level-restriction remains: I now beat Diablo on nightmare difficulty with relative ease. However, I am not allowed to get to hell difficulty because I'm not level 50 yet. I just imagine Dark Souls would tell me I can't start NG+ unless I farm for 3 more hours. It is baffling how bad the balancing of Diablo 3 is, considering how long it took them to create this game. Especially compared to the Souls-games, which walk the fine line between difficult and frustrating so gracefully. Diablo 3 is most of the times really easy, until it get's to a point where it suddenly is rock-hard and unfair towards the player. There is never a warning. You walk into a room and suddenly death has harvesting season.

Diablo 3 gives and Diablo 3 takes away. It gives flexibility in terms of builds. Some complain there are no real 'builds' but I think that's a strength of Diablo's new design. I like being able to try out every new skill without having to level a new character or spend gold to reset skillpoints. I like the focus on 6 active skills, unlike MMO where my character usually has 6 hotbars full with stuff I barely need but just in case it's there anyway. I like that most skills are fun to use and not just filler so that every class has enough stuff to put in the action bar.

It also takes away so many elements that were already in D2, Titan Quest or Torchlight. I don't like having to run back to the vendor to sell the rubbish in my inventory. I don't like the extreme randomness of it all. Epic items in D2 were a bit random, but when you got a unique crossbow you usually knew what you get. In D3 everything is random, the color just signifies how many random stats can be on there. Way too many items I found have nonsensical stat-combinations. I don't like random packs of champions with skill-combinations which make them pretty near invincible for certain classes.

@ckzatwork: as long as you're not done with Diablo we can still play the occasional game ;)

ckzatwork 05-30-2012 12:14 PM

Finally, error 37. Just 10 seconds ago. This is the only hour I will have free today to play this and Blizzard doesn't let me.

Yes, it's annoying and I get the rage. I work full-time, have a life and do housework. Not being able to play a single player game because of DRM is frustrating.

Well, I'll just go lay down and listen to the new Liars record.

ckzatwork 05-30-2012 12:23 PM

And now I'm scared. I tried to log in to the US servers, managed to do it and got a CREATE NEW CHARACTER menu. WHERE IS MY MONK? I hope this just has to do with me being in a different server. Otherwise, I'm going for a refund.

Li-Ion 05-30-2012 12:36 PM

Your characters are bound to the server region you created them on.

Yes, it's stupid. I guess the limitation is because of the troubles they ran into with the real money auction house (something I don't care for) in South Korea.

ckzatwork 05-30-2012 03:48 PM

Still down. Jesus. What a mess.

Li-Ion 05-31-2012 04:38 AM

After some time I managed to get online, but got disconnected while punching some skeletons in the face. No way of logging in again. The US and Asia servers work fine, it's just Europe that's always messed up. I started a hardcore-monk on the US servers and have less problems with lag than I usually have on EU servers. What the Diablo is going on?

On battle.net-forums is already a growing thread of hardcore-characters that died thanks to the lag-issues. If this is the future of gaming, I think I'll go back to reading more books.

ckzatwork 05-31-2012 05:39 PM

I was just playing it, got an error number something when reuniting a party, got kicked to the menu screen and then error 37 after trying to login. I sent a ticket to Blizzard asking for a refund.

I'll rebuy it when it works.

ckzatwork 05-31-2012 05:51 PM

Yeah! Now I'm getting error number 1. Error while creating a party. Can't login.

I've never played a game so broken. It's unbelievable.

Funny how my initial impression was so good. People, don't buy this. Buy it in a year or so.