GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Next-Gen Console Games (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mass Effect 3 (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19299)

abfackeln 02-15-2012 04:33 PM

Mass Effect 3

The demo was released yesterday. What were your impressions.

For me, it didn't really sell me on the game. I felt like the story was the same alien invasion tale I heard a thousand time. The rip-off of Schindler's List with the little boy was kind of cliche. The gameplay hadn't moved past walk down this hall, kneel behind a 3 foot walls, shoot everything in sight, repeat.

Shepard is kind of a douche too. His 'tude really gets on my nerves. What happened to noble heroes? Game characters always have to act like they have a pole up their butt.

Mass Effect is a hard game to have a demo for since it is difficult to pack a RPG experience in a short demo. I'll probably still buy it, but I am sure that it is going to get a lot more praise than it deserves.

Circle 02-16-2012 12:57 PM

Re: Mass Effect 3

I downloaded the demo yesterday just to see if ME3 would work on my laptop (it does, yay!). I'm not sure if I actually want to play it though or just wait until the full game comes out. I've never been a big fan of the Mass Effect series when it comes to gameplay, but I have enjoyed the story and especially the characters so I'm definitely looking forward to the conclusion.

abfackeln 02-17-2012 06:33 PM

For people in the States Best Buy is giving out $20 gift cards to Reward Zone Gamers Club Members that pre-order ME3.

Also Amazon is giving out $10 credit with pre-order.

Circle, I know that games are a lot more expensive in other countries. Do you at least get good promotions like the ones listed above?

Kin Korn Karn 02-18-2012 10:32 AM

Haven't played the demo yet, but from what I'm hearing I am a bit worried.

I may wait on this one before picking it up. There's just too many good games that I still need to play.

Circle 02-19-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abfackeln (Post 200343)
Circle, I know that games are a lot more expensive in other countries. Do you at least get good promotions like the ones listed above?

Not for ME3 as far as I'm aware of, but I'm generally pretty ignorant of these things.

Just had a shot at the demo. It was pretty boring. I didn't even finish it and have no urge to return. But I am aware of how hard it is to sample out a game like ME3 so my enthusiasm hasn't dampened ... much.

It was cool seeing the Reapers though.

JimmyA 02-22-2012 01:21 PM

I got very little from it. The whole thing was a bit beige. I don't feel like I'm being sold anything over what was in the last 2 games, aside from the multiplayer (which is not a huge selling point for me). Weapons sound-effects were cool, though. All in all, so long as planet scanning and anything that resembles it has been scrapped, I'll be happy. Oh, ME2, why must you bore me so? The Mako wasn't that bad.

Li-Ion 02-24-2012 11:04 AM

I'm not playing the demo. I try to prevent reading anything about ME3 beforehand. I will get the game when it's coming out and finish what my Shepard has started years ago.

gamevet 02-25-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn (Post 200351)
Haven't played the demo yet, but from what I'm hearing I am a bit worried.

I may wait on this one before picking it up. There's just too many good games that I still need to play.

I'm pretty much going to wait on picking it up as well. I still haven't played ME2, which has been sitting on my shelf for a good 6 months. I may even sell the 360 version and buy the PS3 game, since it has all of the downloadable content.

Pedro 02-26-2012 07:03 AM

Haven't played the demo and have tried to keep away from previews etc (I do this anyway as they're just hot air), but still have picked up on some grumbles of discontent.

Will definitely pick it up; I had my issues with ME2, but at the same time it was an excellent game and it's worth playing out the trilogy.

Only thing is I'll have to play it on my old 360 as my other saves are there. I'm convinced that thing is firing death rays at my brain.

I don't think I'm very invested in my character, but it would seem rude not to finish her story.

Pedro 02-26-2012 09:47 AM

Actually, I've just seen this article which sums up my view of the game. (Massive Spoilers for ME2).

That said, I enjoyed what went before, the character buildup etc, so I'll give it a go.

Doug Troy 02-29-2012 05:47 PM

The single player part of the demo, with the truncated intro and the lack of it being YOUR Shepard, felt kinda haphazard and skippable.

The multiplayer part of the demo, on the other hand, is an absolute blast. Every concern I had about a Mass Effect co-op Horde Mode was shattered and scattered to the winds. I've put hours into the MP demo. It's like a far more mobile Gears of War Horde mode, with far more teamwork. Powers combine for bitching and sometimes unexpected effects, different races inside the same class tree play wildly differently (don't play a Krogan soldier like you would the human, don't play the human Vanguard like the Drell, etc etc), and the enemies are ruthless and plentiful enough to keep everything interesting.

There's significant meat to the multiplayer, which is a joyful surprise.

Kin Korn Karn 03-07-2012 06:10 AM

So I caved and picked it up. I just feel too compelled to tie off the story with my Shepherd.

Speaking of, I heard lots of static about the import feature being broken in certain scenarios. Thankfully my save worked, but I still had to recreate my face from scratch.

I screwed up, however, as now I have overlapping games (this and Kingdoms of Ambulaarokay). Makes me wonder if I will ever finish the latter.

ME3 sure is a purty game. But what's up with Jessica Chobot being in the game? Just horrible. Bad voice acting and the character model looks like it has some type of facial affliction. Is she really all that that she deserves such a prominent role in a game like ME3?

RandomRob 03-07-2012 05:55 PM

I'm gonna be a wild man and say I'll play it on PC if they ADD GAMEPAD SUPPORT THIS TIME :rolleyes:

Li-Ion 03-08-2012 03:38 AM

Why do I bother pre-ordering on amazon? I guess until I get my copy of ME3 some time next year or so I can play other stuff.

Reviews of ME3 seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Will Brad once more act as "outlier"? ;)

Li-Ion 03-14-2012 10:34 AM

I am playing Mass Effect 3 since Saturday and so far I think it's excellent! You mileage might vary and I could see how newcomers to the series could be overwhelmed at first by all the new faces and places to discover. But if you start playing a trilogy of games with the 3rd game of the series it's clearly your own fault. Get back to Mass Effect 1 or at least 2 and get kicking Reapers in their robotic shins!

What I really like is how things I've done (or not done) reflect in the Mass Effect universe of part 3. This was one of my main complaints in part 2 and I think they pretty much nailed it this time. I saw plenty of familiar faces and some familiar places (Citadel is of course a constant in the galaxy saving business). Considering how many squadmates could have died at the end of ME2, I wonder how the story would have played out so far if I wouldn't have been able to keep everyone alive.

There are also more choices that are difficult than in Mass Effect 1 or 2. While there were only one or two occasions where I was pondering about the best course of action in previous games, I found myself hesitating more often this time. As morally questionable renegade Troy Shepard I'm still shooting people in the face occasionally, or punch them for pissing me off. The whole reputation system with paragon and renegade got an overhaul for the better. Paragon and renegade choices add up to a common reputation-bar instead of being to separate entities. Currently I'm about half Jack Bauer and half boyscout, with slight leaning to the boyscout due to some recent decisions. It's good to live in the grey area and not being punished for not being 100% saint or 100% asshole.