GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Next-Gen Console Games (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Do you prefer High-Def (HD) remakes or the originals? (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19273)

Dale Weir 02-07-2012 04:32 AM

Do you prefer High-Def (HD) remakes or the originals?

High-Definition remakes are all the rage right now. Surprised it took so long into the HD consoles' lifespans for publishers to take advantage of the resolution bar being raised while older, yet still popular, franchises are stuck in standard definition.

But with the HD overhaul, comes changes beyond the aesthetic. Some games have undergone control adjustments or alterations to the difficulty curve. Others have added or removed levels or changed their order.

In other words they are not quite the same as the original game that we fell in love with. Is that okay with you as long as you get to see your favorite last gen game in spanking new HD?

RandomRob 02-07-2012 03:07 PM

Re: Do you prefer High-Def (HD) remakes or the originals?

no question. Low resolution is not forward compatible.

EndlessWorlds 02-07-2012 04:06 PM

I have never, even when HD was just starting out, been interested in seeing games get an HD remake. For instance, for a game like Shadow of the Collosus, what I loved about it was the exploration and story-telling direction. Now it's being toted about once more, with the graphics being a key point of interest. I'm not saying that graphics weren't a important part when it first came out, it's not like that. I'm just not into the whole pro-graphics craze.

RandomRob 02-08-2012 07:59 PM

I think in terms of eye strain, HD remakes are a plus.

Li-Ion 02-09-2012 04:13 AM

HD

Since I have a blu ray player I even have difficulties watching a normal DVD :D

Dale Weir 02-09-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomRob (Post 200247)
I think in terms of eye strain, HD remakes are a plus.

Eye strain? You're kidding right? :)

Didn't we all play games in standard definition before HD was a thing? Where were the complaints of eyestrain then?

Dale

RandomRob 02-09-2012 07:36 PM

true but older games designed for CRT TVs look especially awful on HDTVs.

abfackeln 02-09-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Weir (Post 200249)
Eye strain? You're kidding right? :)

Didn't we all play games in standard definition before HD was a thing? Where were the complaints of eyestrain then?

Dale

SD games on a HD set typically look blurry. SD games on an SD set are not blurry.

I am all for the up-res collections. I have Prince of Persia, Sly Cooper, God of War, and Metal Gear Solid.

Most of those I bought on sale racks, so it even sweetened the deal (PoP $9.99). Metal Gear was a no-brainer too since I never played Peace Walker. The price of the collection was the same as PW when it first came out. Now I can play it with duel-analog sticks on my big screen and I get 2 other games.

If there is demand for it, the publishers will make it. If someone thinks it is a rip-off, no one is forcing them to buy it.

I plan on getting the Ico and Jak & Daxter collection when I can get them at a good price.

As far as complete remakes, it depends on the remake. Some are better than the originals, some are not. I am playing Lunar now on the PSP and from what I can tell this is the best version.

I played the remake of Final Fantasy IV on the DS. It was good, but I still like it in 2D. The PSP version seems really good. It is in 2D with crisper graphics.

Bornie 03-11-2012 02:46 PM

If the remake does not involve significant changes in the game artistic design and the price is reasonable, I think that HD remakes are good.

I say this because I bought the HD remake of Monkey Island for XBOX360, which is a game I loved as a teenager, and I hate what the developer has done with the new HD look of the game (it is even impossible to recognize the main character, and that is not acceptable in any way).

RandomRob 03-11-2012 04:22 PM

wow, disagree with you! I thought the Monkey Island remakes were beautiful, lushly illustrated, and fun to play.

Bornie 03-12-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomRob (Post 200566)
wow, disagree with you! I thought the Monkey Island remakes were beautiful, lushly illustrated, and fun to play.

Well, of course it was just my opinion, and I have a deep respect for anybody with a different one!

But that aside, I feel that these Monkey Island remakes have included so many changes that it has been hard to me to identify the "spirit" of the original games. I guess it is a matter of nostalgia, however, and a player that wanted to play Monkey Island for the first time would prefer the new remake for sure.

I would say that I like the new HD - Monkey Island as an individual game, but I am not sure about how to rate it as a remake. I don't know if this sentence is understandable, but that's the best way I have to express my thoughts. :o