GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Podcast Feedback (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Podcast suggestion : How games incorporate reviews feedback (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19254)

Mousse Effect 01-30-2012 07:37 AM

Podcast suggestion : How games incorporate reviews feedback

Hi everyone,

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on how games try to incorporate the reviews feedback for sequels and new IPs. What are the success, what are the failures in that area? For instance Brad said ME2 review that Bioware overreacted to ME1 feedback, and that AC2 did not really do enough in that regard.

For me an example of failure in incorporating feedback is Resonance of Fate that discarded all the progressive tutorials so that there will be less hand holding, making the combat system very obscure. On the top of my head, I can't find a good example, but I'm sure there is a lot of those. Are there times game developers told you that they changed A or B because of your review ?

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a good way to make this subject relevant today.

RandomRob 01-30-2012 09:05 AM

Re: Podcast suggestion : How games incorporate reviews feedback

I was with you up until Final Fantasy XIII :o

Good topic idea. I would tighten it up by saying 'has feedback helped franchises? Which ones, and how?'

Note: Shigeru Miyamoto for ex once said he doesnt think feedback from the internet has any place in a game's design.

I don't like the business of tailoring games to feedback, to me it's the same process as releasing a teaser trailer like they did years ago for Tron Legacy, which had no script at the time, and then they FARMED opinion to the trailer to make a film that people THOUGHT they wanted to see, based on what they saw.

To me there's something if not uncreative, is just uninspired about working that way.

I think it's a great topic BTW

Pedro 02-02-2012 06:08 PM

Very good topic for discussion, though I wonder if there is much data available on the topic, or whether it would be all conjecture.

The main one I can think of is Mass Effect, as has been mentioned. How much did the data that 70% of people played a male soldier class (or whatever) influence the progression of the series? Personally I think that ME2 came out to soon afterwards to be significantly affected by the data from ME1, and that it will affect future IPs more than Mass Effect. This is a completely groundless assertion, of course!

Sweeping Generalisation #2: I would say that Miyamoto probably has the right of it - at the end of the day, internet commentators are possibly not the best judges of what will and won't work in your game, as they don't know the internal systems etc which are involved. I was involved in modding for a while, and we constantly got requests to add features which made no thematic or internal* sense. There were good suggestions too, but at the end of the day it came down to the designer or developer's vision as to whether something would work or not. So feedback in that sense was great, but 90% of it was terrible, or unsuitable.

*as in, the code would require a vast amount of change just to fit in something throwaway or with an extremely minor effect on the gameworld, but which was "a cool feature".

K-Unit 03-23-2012 12:32 AM

Well, its taken some time, many years in fact, but on great example of how games do and don't incorporate user feedback is with the Resident Evil series. Players and reviewers have been riding Capcom for not allowing players to move while shooting, and with good reason, as this makes the games feel clunky and is often frustrating. Also, with the recent releases of the fourth and fifth games in the series, gamers, myself included, have been confused and upset over the transition from zombies to parasitic villagers.

Recently, Game Informer (yes i read it, dont judge me, its free) came out with an article about the sixth game in the Resident Evil series. Two things struck me when i scanned this article. The first, Capcom has finally changed their archaic ways and will be allowing characters to move while shooting. The second thing i discovered, much to my displeasure, was that the parasitic replacement to the zombies in the series has once again reared its ugly head.

I dont know for certain that Capcom has taken fan feedback into account, and changed things that desperately needed to be changed, or whether they finally decided for themselves that it was time to move into the current way of doing things. As for the parasites as a replacement to the zombie enemies we all know and love from the original games, we can only assume that Capcom has more to reveal in the upcoming Resident Evil 6 game.