GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Breaking Bad: Criminal Chemistry 101 (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18830)

Doug Troy 07-15-2011 10:34 PM

Breaking Bad: Criminal Chemistry 101

And there it is. The first three minutes of the first episode of the best drama on TV right now. This one really is a weird beast of a show.

Walter White is a high school chemistry teacher. He also works at a local car wash, because teaching doesn't pay terribly well, especially when you have a kid with cerebral palsy. Unfortunately, the medical costs are only going to get worse for Walt: he has lung cancer. Now, faced with his own mortality and the idea that his medical bills will bankrupt his family before he dies, he makes a decision: make money and make it FAST.

Enter Jesse Pinkman, a former student of Walt's and current meth cook. It is from seeing him again that Walt gets the idea in his head to use what he knows: chemistry ie cook his own meth with Jesse as an assistant. Walter White, high-school chemistry teacher and all-around pushover of a man, is going to break bad and turn into a criminal. But it's all for his family, so it's okay right?

Right?

Breaking Bad is the best show on TV right now for several reasons. The writing is fantastic, the characters are phenomenal, the comedy is pitch black and the drama sucks you right in. This show is about as dark and bleak and gory as anything ever aired on premium channels. And beautiful, can't forget beautiful. This show was made to be seen in high-def.

Simply put: This show is The Wire-good. Maybe better, depending on how it eventually ends.

For an example of the show's great writing, dark humor and violent content, watch this clip (NSFW for splatter-gore)

So far, 3 seasons have aired. The fourth begins Sunday on AMC (in America, not sure about other countries). The first is short (7 episodes), made so by the writer's strike a couple years back. Both seasons 2 and 3 are 13-episodes long, with barely any in-show time passing between them. I highly recommend starting from the beginning, as this is a show that rewards those who've seen it all in order. Season 3 in particular has a trio of episodes that are great out-of-order but when viewed with the proper context become Classic TV. But I'm not going to tell you how the latter seasons go. So far, I've only told you things from the first couple episodes. The rest deserves to be seen how it was aired.

So, that's the long and short of it for the newbies. Anyone here seen the show proper? Questions, comments, impressions?

Kin Korn Karn 07-16-2011 09:23 AM

Re: Breaking Bad: Criminal Chemistry 101

It is the best show on cable television right now. Absolutely amazing. My wife and I rarely agree on anything when it comes to the television, but we both love Breaking Bad.

Can't wait for the new season.

Kin Korn Karn 07-19-2011 07:40 PM

Um, the first episode of Season 4 was downright amazing. Boxcutter!!!

Doug Troy 07-20-2011 01:04 AM

Yeah, Giancarlo Esposito pretty much locked down his Emmy for next year in that one scene. I haven't seen silence that tense since the finale of The Shield.

Boy 07-21-2011 03:37 PM

I love Breaking Bad. I'm glad to see members of the hallowed halls of the GC forum feel the same way.

The thing is, though, that I watched all of the first 3 seasons on DVD really fast. Now waiting for an episode per week seems agonizing.

DT, which 3 episodes were you referencing? You can just give me the titles, I'm curious.

Doug Troy 07-21-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boy (Post 197650)
DT, which 3 episodes were you referencing? You can just give me the titles, I'm curious.

One Minute, Half Measure, Full Measure. Fly came close to being one of those three, but unfortunately it needs the context of the rest of the series to really hit home.

Boy 07-27-2011 04:30 PM

Fly might be my favorite episode in the entire series. One of the great things about the show is how it can get away with being so unapologetically languid sometimes.

Doug Troy 08-08-2011 01:47 PM

You know what this thread needs?

More Gale.

Kin Korn Karn 08-10-2011 06:58 PM

Too awesome! I don't know what was better, this video or the look on Walt's face as he watched it.

Doug Troy 09-10-2011 08:28 PM

There are now zero excuses for not having seen the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad.

Get on that shit, gentlemen. The best TV show of the last five years awaits.

Doug Troy 09-19-2011 12:27 PM

Holy shit.

Gustavo Fring is the baddest motherfucker in the history of all television.

Just give Breaking Bad all the Emmys next year.

Doug Troy 09-27-2011 01:22 PM

I'm so alone in here.

SOOOO ALOOOOOOONE.

I think I'm running out of ways to go "Holy shit" at what each episode is pulling off. It's almost cliche at this point, saying "holy shit" at an episode of Breaking Bad. Sky's blue, water's wet, women have secrets and Breaking Bad is the best show on TV this decade, maybe ever. If you're watching Breaking Bad, then you know what I'm talking about. If you're not, then you don't.

Quite frankly, if you're not watching Breaking Bad, I just don't know what to tell you.

Doug Troy 10-10-2011 03:19 PM

This show.

This goddamn show.

It is one stuck landing from putting The Wire firmly in its shadow.

Just hand all the dramatic Emmys to Breaking Bad. Right now. Don't bother making a list of nominations, nothing else is going to come close to this last season.

Kin Korn Karn 10-10-2011 09:31 PM

Ha!

Just watched the season finale. "Face Off" indeed!

I'm wondering just what will get stirred up next season. There's a few loose ends, but enough to stretch another, what 15 episodes or however many?

Mike Bracken 11-05-2011 06:08 PM

Way late to this discussion, but if you keep up with the podcast, you know Tim, Richard, and myself have all become gigantic Breaking Bad fans since it turned up on Instant Watch. So big, in fact, that we may start cooking meth in our downtime between shows.

We've been talking about doing a non-gaming Breaking Bad podcast ep (sort of like the Dr. Who one the guys did awhile back), so keep an eye out for that.

Best show on television, hands down. I always loved Giancarlo Esposito from Homicide and Spike Lee movies (and his unforgettable turn in Fresh) but he's on a whole other level in this show.