GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Culture (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What are you playing right now? (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18662)

Pedro 05-17-2011 03:31 PM

What are you playing right now?

I know we already have the 'Post here when you beat a game' thread, but we don't finish all the games we play, so it's a bit exclusionary. It might be good to have this thread for general comments, and then if you beat a game, you can crown your achievement by posting in the other thread! Plus, I feel the need to rant about a game I may never beat :mad:

MLB 09: The Show (PS3).

Aaarrggh! I'm playing this in Road to the Show mode, with my starting pitcher, Pedro Pedroza. It's a fantastic game, and is so true-to-life it's almost like watching a baseball game. Great commentary by Matt Vasgersian too.

Cactus League didn't go so well for Pedro, who had an ERA of 28.00 after two games. Though he recovered well, the White Sox offered him only a minor league contract, for 35K a year at the Birmingham Barons. He spent his first season playing double-A ball, where the Barons made the playoffs and he gained various player of the year accolades.

Year two saw a promotion to triple-A Charlotte, and this is where the problems started. While the game is fantastically true to life, I think that it has to game the player a little. Specifically, your fielders throw an enormous amount of balls back over first base and into the stands, resulting in quite a few doubles at critical moments for the opposing team. I think this is a device to combat player agency (ie not let your ERA sink ridiculously low) and also build in drama and critical moments and as such it leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Along with that, your manager doesn't distinguish between your good pitching and the fielders' bad fielding. So just now, I'd pitched 8 shutout innings, allowing 2 hits. Just as I started the ninth, I got an easy ground ball to shortstop, who proceeded to throw it into the stands, allowing the leadoff batter to reach second base. Pedro was promptly yanked from the game, on a fielder error and when he was on course for a complete game shutout! Hugely frustrating!

Great game all the same, though playing a pitcher is mostly just a matter of following the catcher's instructions and hitting your spots. Not sure if there's enough gameplay to sustain it.

Right, I'm going to make a nice calming cup of tea and get stuck into the Witcher 2.

RandomRob 05-17-2011 03:58 PM

Re: What are you playing right now?

Beautiful game, but the learning curve is just brutal, I thought.

I am currently playing Infinite Space on DS. Love it.

Also the Oregon Trail on DS. Fantastic update (and a bargain for 8$ imo) of a classic old PC game. Love it.

JLB1987 05-17-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro (Post 196529)
I know we already have the 'Post here when you beat a game' thread, but we don't finish all the games we play, so it's a bit exclusionary. It might be good to have this thread for general comments, and then if you beat a game, you can crown your achievement by posting in the other thread!

Excellent idea! Especially handy for me; I tend to play a game a fair few hours before I decide it's rubbish and I'm wasting my time, so I always play enogh to form a valid opinion on it. Which leads me to...

Quake 4

Really love the first two Quakes, both of which I am currently playing through courtesy of Steam. This title just lacks the fun of those two games. By trying to give it a proper narritive, it's lost a lot of the simple fun the first two games are. Not a bad game, but not good either. Not sure it's worth the 5 I paid for it.

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Gone back to this after completing a few other games, this is a great little game. The destruction engine really is fantastic; I rarely "lol" at a game, but driving a truck right through a building always makes me laugh. The mission variety is pretty fantastic too, more so than GTA, I find. For example, one mission has the bad guys blowing up a town they have lost control of. Instead of asking you to blow up the artillery cannons, you are tasked with avoiding the explosions and saving a few important people/ items, accpeting there isn't anything you could realistically do to stop the attack. Very refreshing. The arcadey side missions add a wonderful break to it all. Vastly under-rated game.

Just about to start Arkham Asylum again, on hard mode. Wish me luck...

frogofdeath 05-17-2011 06:16 PM

Currently playing an oldie: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. Had played up until the final boss a couple months ago, but never got around to beating it. Currently giving it a go, but it's a taking a few tries. Will then be checking out Oracle of Ages. I have both games, complete in box, just never got around to completing them when I first made the purchase a decade ago.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomRob (Post 196535)
Also the Oregon Trail on DS. Fantastic update (and a bargain for 8$ imo) of a classic old PC game. Love it.

Wait, there's an Oregon Trail for the DS!? How the hell did I miss this?:confused:

RandomRob 05-17-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogofdeath (Post 196544)
Wait, there's an Oregon Trail for the DS!? How the hell did I miss this?:confused:

It didnt get a lot of press, I found it searching Metacritics scores. If you like that game, its a great version. Lots of mini-games, nice animations.. real quality DSiware title :)

RandomRob 05-17-2011 06:54 PM

also I ordered a Nvidia 9800GT card so hopefully I can play some Mass Effect without the lag in a few days :D

Li-Ion 05-18-2011 10:14 AM

Well, just look at my signature :p

Starcraft 2
Playing the occasional ladder game, slowly fighting my way up in silver league.

Brink
Just started yesterday. So far loving it.

There are a couple of games I played recently but did not finish for various reasons:

Bayonetta
I stopped playing after some BS QTE I didn't expect killed me instantly after a lengthy boss battle and threw me back to what felt like half an hour ago. I'm not even far, but that QTE just frustrated me enough to quit Bayonetta and rather play a Demon's Souls NG+.

Portal 2
Kinda still playing. I like it. But...
meh...
I paused after I went through some lengthy corridor section without any puzzles, just to hear Wheatley talking "funny" yet another time... :rolleyes:
Seriously, who at Valve thought it would be a good idea to include lengthy corridors without much happening and most of all without any puzzles in their puzzle game?
Also: I already played the tutorial. That's what the first half of Portal 1 was. Why does Portal 2 have a tutorial which is longer than in the first game? I was playing for 4 hours or so - which is double the time it took to play through Portal 1 - and still waiting for the brain-benders and puzzles that are worth their name. One might think Valve spent enough time making Portal 2. They could have come up with better things than we saw in the first game. I'm just getting bored with it.

Darksiders
I should have known better than to buy a Zelda rip-off when I don't even like Zelda.

Just Cause 2
Had the same effect as GTA on me. Played around for 2 or 3 hours but since I couldn't find myself caring for anything that happens in the game I stopped.

Bionic Commando
My brain just doesn't work in the right way to get used to the swinging mechanics. I usually end up face first in some random wall or falling large distances since I just can't get the timing for my jumps right.

RandomRob 05-18-2011 06:38 PM

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/...201489-000.jpg

Silent Hunter III -

ah, goodness :o

Crappymeatplow 05-18-2011 07:38 PM

Playing some splinter cell double agent.It was 6 bucks and I need finished it so I thought WTH

Oblivion-I loved this game when it came out but now just hasnt the same pizzaz to me.Mainly started it up aging for Skrym coming up.

RDR Undead nightmare-Just started it and I like to kill me some zombies!!

And last but not least Mass Effect 1 and 2.I's need to develope more characters for November!

MLBurt 05-19-2011 11:55 AM

At the moment, I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII for the second time, as well as Crysis 2. As someone who enjoyed XIII (but recognized its flaws), playing it through again has been a very enlightening experience ... I think, once I've finished this playthrough, I might try and write a review as a second look.

Crysis 2, meanwhile, is a blast, but I find if I play it for more than an hour at a time I get frustrated.

Pedro 05-19-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomRob (Post 196587)
Silent Hunter III -

ah, goodness :o

Well, tell us what it's like! It's one of those acclaimed games that I can't quite figure out the appeal - do you just spend the whole game lurking around in a submarine or what? :p It doesn't seem that it would make a great game.

@Crappymeatplow: I thought canc3rc0wb0y had the worst name till you came along. Man... :p

Kin Korn Karn 05-19-2011 09:18 PM

Revive Silent Service! Man I loved that game on the NES. May have been one of the few.

I just put down Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood to play the new Fallout: New Vegas DLC (Honest Hearts). I heart Fallout.

If I'm kicked into the game room then I'll flip on my PS3 to continue Fallout 3 GOTY on that platform.

I'll throw in a bit of Heroes of Might and Magic 3 on my PC once a week or so as well. They just don't make them like that anymore :)

Thanks for the heads up on the Oregon Trail remake for the DS, RR. I'm going to track that down.

RandomRob 05-20-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro (Post 196626)
Well, tell us what it's like! It's one of those acclaimed games that I can't quite figure out the appeal - do you just spend the whole game lurking around in a submarine or what? :p It doesn't seem that it would make a great game.

well.. I do like sub movies.

SH3 incorporates the best use of waiting, I think. Waiting for torpedoes to hit, waiting for a destroyer to pass, waiting to find a target. The waiting balances the action and gives it real tension.

And it's the stealth gameplay.. you feel overpowered as you strike from a good position, then feel immediately underpowered and fragile as destroyers surge overhead dropping depth charges while you risk crushing your hull by diving deeper.

The sound of the hull contracting. Loooove it.

I love the tension of it and I think SH3 was a real high point for the genre.

Crappymeatplow 05-20-2011 08:04 PM

Silent Hunter does sound interesting but patience isnt in my forte of personailties! I am kinda intersted if you fight against other subs.

Do you ping to search for your sub enemy?although I have never heard of submarine dogfights other than Red October.Do you have to search for lost nuclear weapons and retrieve them?Or is it just shooting toredoe and shut everything down so the destroyers can't hear you so they don't drop a barrel of laughs on your hull?

JLB1987 05-21-2011 11:14 AM

Given up on Quake 4 (too tedious). Red Faction is being played abround half an hour every time I get a session on the 360, because I'm on the last mission and can't do it (I'm playing on hard mode). Hoping that I'll get through it soon, as I really want to get back onto the side missions that I've missed. Awesome game, but the last mission is way too difficult.

GTA IV

Started this again, in part because I rushed through the story missions on my first play through, and so this time will be taking my time, chipping away while putting my main focus on Arkham Asylum. Forgot how much fun this game could be; I have a feeling I will gain a lot more by not focusing on just completing the story missions this time round. The gunplay in IV is solid when compared to the *abysmal* shooting mechanics in previous GTAs (although it is no where near as satisfying as in Read Dead Redemption, unfortunately), but I love driving vehicles. I think Rockstar got the car handling spot-on here.