GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   MMO Games (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   So, who is going to go Star Wars: The Old Republic? (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16249)

Kin Korn Karn 09-17-2009 08:47 PM

So, who is going to go Star Wars: The Old Republic?

I'm really looking forward to the new Star Wars MMORPG. I may even pre-order. Seriously, KotOR online?? Sold!!

Who's in?

Richard Naik 09-18-2009 12:08 AM

Re: So, who is going to go Star Wars: The Old Republic?

I'll likely give this a whirl. I'm not really an MMO guy, but I liked the original KOTOR so much that I'm willing to give it a shot.

LordFarid 09-18-2009 08:06 AM

This one is definatly on my radar and is looking incredibly promising.

Tim Spaeth 09-21-2009 11:48 AM

Day one, I'll be there. I played SWG for an embarrassingly long time and SWTOR appears to exceed it in every measurable way.

gamevet 09-21-2009 08:52 PM

Star Wars: Galaxies was my one and only experience with MMOs. I liked it quite a bit, but then SOE decided they needed to make it more like Wold of Warcraft, and killed the economy based system the original game was. I quit soon after.

I'm somewhat excited about the new Star Wars MMO, but I'm still quite leary, after what had happened with Galaxies. I'm also not a big fan of being stuck with one game for an extended amount of time; There's nothing wrong with having a game with a lot of replay value, but I don't want to have my life dictated by it. Still, I have this odd feeling that this game was the reason why I didn't hesitate to upgrade to a new computer, when the old one started acting up.

Richard Naik 09-21-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Spaeth (Post 173985)
Day one, I'll be there. I played SWG for an embarrassingly long time and SWTOR appears to exceed it in every measurable way.

We should form a GC group (or clan, or whatever) when this comes out.

Adelleda 09-22-2009 04:09 PM

I should be there like, all depends on how my funds are holding up at the time. Any news on the fee?

Kin Korn Karn 09-22-2009 05:50 PM

No word on fee yet. I would imagine that they wouldn't go beyond the WoW $15 US a month. If they want to entice more players they would have to go under that threshold.

Tim Spaeth 09-22-2009 08:39 PM

I left SWG shortly after the Rage of the Wookiees expansion, which was after the first revamp but before the second. When I went back for a free weekend a year later, I was appalled that "Jedi" could be chosen from the character creation screen. I burned an ungodly number hours grinding Huurton Stalkers on Dantooine to earn enough XP to unlock my Jedi. That they were just giving them away was...well, I'd moved on to WoW at that point, so I wouldn't call it a betrayal, exactly, but pretty darned close.

Tim Spaeth 09-22-2009 08:44 PM

Oh, and for you new kids, here is the one article I've written for GameCritics in its 10-year history. It's a write-up of the first SWG expansion, Jump to Lightspeed. Warning: the writing is terrible and embarrassing.

http://www.gamecritics.com/node/3647

Richard Naik 09-22-2009 08:56 PM

I've never been much of an MMORPG guy. I played WoW for a little bit, got to level 13, then got bored. I just can't get into the grinding thing, and I'm more apt to play something like TF2 where I can just get on for an hour or two and play rather than having to spend hours and hours just building a character to be able to enjoy the game.

No hate to anyone that likes them, but they're just not my thing. I'll give SWOTOR a shot, but I really don't expect it to be much different.

kaoshi 11-04-2009 05:50 PM

I am a pretty big MMO guy...Loved SWG and will be there in SWTOR from day one....

Tim Spaeth 11-05-2009 02:12 PM

Kaoshi -- what did you play in SWG? I got an e-mail from SOE a few weeks ago warning me my old server was shutting down and that I'd better transfer my characters or lose them forever. I briefly thought about logging in, but I figured I'd survived the last four years without them, so I let them die.

kaoshi 11-05-2009 06:39 PM

That sucks... i quite a few months ago but it was a great game.

Li-Ion 11-23-2011 05:50 AM

Arise, you thread of old...

I found an email in my box saying I was chosen for a beta weekend. I found that odd, since (Adam Jensen voice) I never asked for this.

In any case: it turned out to not be simply spam and I started downloading the client. Started, since the servers seem to be a bit overburdened right now. Often the download stops or goes at a crawling speed, before jumping back up to normal.

Anyone else gotten into the beta, willingly or not?