GameCritics.com Forums

GameCritics.com Forums (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/index.php)
-   Game Guide Help (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization Tips FAQ Help Tricks Hints Cheats Strategy (http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14419)

Chi Kong Lui 09-21-2008 11:41 PM

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization Tips FAQ Help Tricks Hints Cheats Strategy

Got questions and/or advice? Post tips, tricks, achievements, FAQ, hints, help, cheat codes and strategy for Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization (PC) here. Registration not required. Guest posting allowed.

Unregistered 09-25-2008 10:33 AM

Re: Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization Tips FAQ Help Tricks Hints Cheats Strat

Does anybody know how to trade goods after refusing to pay tax? Is there anything like old Colonization Custom House?

Col Smurfer 09-26-2008 01:29 PM

Re: Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization Tips FAQ Help Tricks Hints Cheats Strat

It seems that the "CheatCode = chipotle" entry in "CivilizationIV.ini" still enables the console, but the old codes aren't working.

Unregistered 09-27-2008 04:49 AM

Anyone have any advice, hints, strategies etc?

Unregistered 09-27-2008 04:28 PM

there is a list somewhere on the net, but i do know that once you enable "CheatCode = chipotle" you can type "Play.setgold (player #), (amount)" for gold...player 0 is human player.

EX: Player.setgold 0, 80000

gives 80000 gold.

Unregistered 09-27-2008 04:50 PM

Any tips on reducing the amount of food lost in your cities?

Unregistered 09-29-2008 01:34 PM

Theres a number of issues with the game that ive found:

Natives:
Runs out of money - doesnt replenish unless you buy items from them, you can basically empty their coffers in 10 minutes. Perhaps if they did some trade with the other countries it could go up and create a more complex system.

Motherland:
As rebel sentiment rises the king adds military forces - and at a breakneck pace (even on easy!). Halfway through the game the King had over 300 military units. Tried massproducing soldiers myself, i could keep about half the pace. Tried rushing sentiment by adding 3 elder statesmen to all towns at the same time. Tried doing it at the start and only one town. It just doesnt work - takes too long and the king will add forces way way way too fast.

Sometimes the King bugs out and wont become happy when you give him gold that he asks for and will remain annoyed with you although the only modifier is +1 Years of peace.

European countries:
They seem more or less incapable of attacking your capitol, i left it unguarded on hardest setting and proceded to wipe out their towns with a single unit. They had several soldiers in the vicinity of my town but did not attack.

Your settlements:
Bell production sometimes doesnt increase rebel sentiment properly.

Sometimes when a tile is improved and citizens are assigned to tasks automatically they will attempt to harvest something that cant be harvested. For instance if your pioneer clears a forest the citizen wont stop trying to get lumber in town from that square.

Units:
Pioneers will sometimes do stupid improvements when set to auto, like remove the last spot of forest near your town making sure you dont get any lumber unless ship it in - and for what? 2 sugar? bah!

I loved the original colonization, played it until my eyes bled. This has potential aswell but needs fixing - thats for sure.

joker 09-30-2008 04:51 AM

bad

No customs house? what did they think?...it's not the same like old colonization. I delete it.

Unregistered 10-01-2008 07:52 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has been having a hell of a time with this game. It has a lot of potential to be great, but the above mentioned problems cause it to fall short. Your direct competitors are weak as hell, but the strangely omnipotent king (who you can do nothing to weaken or affect) kicks the crap out of me every time. And yes, why do I only have 45% rebel sentiment if I have 100% in all my cities!?!?

Patch please!

Unregistered 10-02-2008 11:56 PM

About the rebel sentiment. I too found out that the rebel sentiment stayed low even though all my cities were operating at 100% independence. The only way to rise rebel sentiment OUTSIDE cities is to delete colonists, as the rebel sentiment follows units not cities.

Unregistered 10-03-2008 02:05 AM

Thank god i'm not the only one who thinks that even on the easiest setting that the king recruits way faster than one can hope to keep up with...I thought with the defense bonuses applied to my soldiers by the fortress, that the king's forces would be dropping like flies outside them, but instead I'm all but spent defending the first wave, while i know that 75 more soldiers and 40 more dragoons are on their way, meanwhile the 50 artillery units have completely taken away any defenses my city used to have thanks to the nifty bombard feature.

I will be anxiously awaiting a patch as well...

Unregistered 10-03-2008 03:57 PM

I played the old colonization a thousand times, it's one of those classics and I was great at it ... But this one throws me around like a rag doll ... I mean there is no way you can defeat the king ... I've gotten to the point were I have 5 ports (specialized only in building Ship of the Lines ), 8 weapons manufacture towns, 10 farms (only for colonists) plus a bunch of cities that produce goods to fuel my economic growth and almost all of the Founding Fathers (the ones that are useful at least) but to no avail (playing on easy and marathon) ... The closest I came was to reduce his land army to about 20 cannons, 10 regulars and 5 dragoons, with his fleet almost at full force ... Plus the other problems that I also noticed ... What's the point of a game that you can play, but never win ?

Unregistered 10-03-2008 04:10 PM

To prevent the king from producing too many soldiers you simply have to produce 0 bells until your ready to rebel, then make them as quickly as possible (3 statesmen with newpapers in all cities) until you reach 50%, then rebel.
There was a guy on another forum who claimed to have made 500 units and still got wiped out by the king. So yea, they really do need to patch. Using the "0 bells until rebel" method works, but it kinda stinks because you can't expand your borders until your ready to rebel.

Unregistered 10-04-2008 01:05 PM

I agree, this is way too difficult. King is recruiting like crazy, I can hardly get one third of his land army, not to speak about naval forces. Another thing, his forces are superior to mine. Man-o-wars kill everything like flies, I need two frigates or ship in lines two sink one of these monsters and I have barely 20% of his naval army. WTF?
Next thing is his artilleries against my cannons, why can't I build artillery? And just to add, everytime he attacks my city full of defenders, he does so with his best unit against my worse - artillery vs. soldier, even I have 10 fortified dragoons inside. If I attack with those dragoons, I have to clear my way to his artilleries through bunch of regulars and his dragoons.
This game really needs patch.

Unregistered 10-05-2008 11:08 AM

I defeat the king quite easily and here's how. Build as many Ship's of the Line as possible and block off every square of ocean. When the king's ships get close sink every one with his army on-board. When he runs out of ships he will surrender. I have never lost a single city to the king's men. If he does manage to land an army attack his "landing party" until every one is killed. Good luck and remember "Freedom is not free", vote McCain-Palin!