About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Review

Brad Gallaway's picture

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII CG Artwork

Few role-playing games have left a bigger footprint on the industry than the influential, instrumental Final Fantasy VII. You can't toss a Buster sword into a crowd of gamers without hitting a few who'd call themselves true fans, and it's nearly impossible to find a player who isn't at least vaguely aware of the title despite the fact that it came out eleven years and two hardware generations ago. Without VII leading the charge, it's hard to imagine that RPGs would have taken off in the domestic market the way they did, and just about every spiky-haired amnesiac who's come down the pike since then owes at least a small debt to Cloud Strife and company. With this legacy in mind, it's not hard to see why Square would want to capitalize on the VII mindshare, but the fact is that none of their recent efforts to cash in on that landmark effort have done justice to, or truly enhanced the source material.

The latest attempt, Crisis Core is no different.

Putting aside all concerns of characterization and storytelling for the moment, as far as I'm concerned, Crisis Core is a complete failure in terms of mechanics and gameplay. There's no arguing that it's probably the most beautiful PSP game produced thus far, easily eclipsing the vast majority of PS2 games when it comes to visual sweetness, but once the sugar high wears off, it's hard to ignore the repetitive combat and absurd design choices that keep it from being anything but fanservice piffle.

Best described as a hybrid between real-time and turn-based combat systems, players control main character Zack Fair much like any other standard action game, the difference being that he auto-targets towards the closest enemy in the direction he's facing, and the type of action taken (attack, minor magic, healing, etc.) is selected by moving a cursor back and forth on a menu in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Screenshot

This setup seemed clever at first, perhaps a way to compensate for some of the PSP's physical drawbacks. However, the more I played, the less involved I felt—and the more toothless the combat became. Since clicking the Attack command makes Zack automatically move towards the target and execute the command, there's no need to master timing or worry much about positioning. Occasionally hitting the Dodge or Block button will help against tougher enemies, but this auto-combat setup means it's entirely possible to win most battles by spamming the attack button—looking at the screen is optional.

Taking even more out of players' hands, the designers have created a bizarre slot-machine called the Digital Mind Wave to handle leveling up, Summon spells and other magic that enhances Zack or his abilities. Instead of being able to cast the powerful, cinematic incantations that have been a Final Fantasy trademark at will, the game constantly spins three wheels. When the wheels match portraits of characters, the action stops and a spell occurs whether you want it or not. When the same wheels match numbers, it will randomly level-up the item you had equipped in a given spot, though you never know which one will get the boost.

I'd like to go on record now as saying that the DMW system is one of the worst ideas I've ever encountered—is Square-Enix under the impression that their audience is incapable of managing basic functions that have been central to their games and the genre for the last decade? By removing my ability to choose, not only was I left hanging when I needed some high-caliber backup during boss battles, the game kept "hitting the jackpot" and casting spells I didn't want when trying to get through generic enemies that my auto-fighting would easily destroy anyway. Being interrupted every three seconds with unnecessary spells and being forced-fed unskippable cutscenes is not my idea of entertaining gameplay—automatic assistance can be a great option when players need to manage multiple things at once, but when all I'm doing is hitting one button and yawning, I don't need the computer to usurp my decision-making.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Screenshot

(...And at this point, I'm sure some readers are outraged that I haven't yet mentioned the "added value" side missions that occur completely apart from the main narrative, existing only to "reward" the player with extra items and a longer completion time. Since the quality of Crisis Core's gameplay is terrible I don't see how giving more of it is a good thing, but there is a ton of monster-killing and repetitive side-questing here for those who want it. FYI.)

With the gameplay a flop, the only thing left to discuss is the plot. One of the key twists in Final Fantasy VII involved the hero's lost memories and his relationship to a character that was only seen in revelatory flashbacks. Zack was that character, and Crisis Core chronicles the events immediately preceding VII. The mileage gained from this supporting adventure will entirely depend on the amount of love the player has for VII. Personally, I haven't sat down with VII since the week it was released, I didn't think the original twist necessitating this game was well-done in the first place, and I can't say I've been waiting on pins and needles for this bit of backstory since then. Nail-biting drama you can't take your eyes away from, this isn't.

When I buy a PSP title, I want something interesting, original, and above all, something that's entertaining to play. Hardly the blockbuster system-seller it's made out to be, Crisis Core is a puffed-up minigame that could easily fit inside a larger RPG alongside snowboarding, a few gambling diversions and a Chocobo breeding quest. Without harboring a socially crippling VII obsession myself, I could only endure it for twenty or thirty minutes at a time before becoming painfully bored, and when I walked away from it, I immediately forgot what I had been doing. After several such sessions, I started to wonder why I was even bothering to come back to it—so I didn't.

If the words "the death of Aeris" don't bring a tear to your eye, then dropping $40 on Crisis Core certainly will. here's hoping the inevitable VII remake fares better than this game did. Rating: 3.5 out of 10


Category Tags
Platform(s): PSP  
Developer(s): Square Enix  
Publisher: Square Enix  
Series: Final Fantasy  
Genre(s): Role-Playing  
ESRB Rating: Teen (13+)  
Articles: Game Reviews  

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

response

Good review Brad, I understand all the negative points you made about the game and I think they are all very valid. However, I did find myself enjoying FFVII:CC.

The combat is on the repetitive hack-n-slash side, but I enjoyed it. But then again, I'm a huge Dynasty Warriors fan.

I found the DNW wheel to be a decent idea that was taken way too far. I thought regulating all powerful summons and performance bonuses to a chance occurrence was a good idea as it made you not rely on them. However, using it to level up Zack and materia was ridiculous.

I know you didn't like the gameplay, but I still think the side missions deserve mentioning. Even if one does not like the gameplay I think it still important to recognize the side missions as the a very good way to make a story heavy RPG more portable.

Hey Brad!

The random battles in most RPGs can be completed by "just spamming attack." The DWM system is a brilliant plot device which gives background scenes and

-instead of dissecting everything that's wrong with this review I'm just going to assume that you aren't among the legions of fans and reviewers that get it, and it's not for you. This is wasting my time, fuck you Brad.

Brilliant plot device that

Brilliant plot device that gives background scenes...?

Sure, if you think there's some intrinsic value in watching the exact same short, out-of-context cutscenes *every single time* the DMW hits the jackpot over and over again.

If that's S-E's idea of a brilliant plot device and good storytelling, sign me up for a different series.

>>I know you didn't like the

>>I know you didn't like the gameplay, but I still think the side missions deserve mentioning. Even if one does not like the gameplay I think it still important to recognize the side missions as the a very good way to make a story heavy RPG more portable.

I see your point, and i guess i agree that adding these missions is a way to let gamers play something if they don't have time to get into the story part of the game.

at the same time, i sort of question the value of having these missions there when the main game is so poor. i would have rather S-E took the time to make a more satisfying central portion than waste time crafting all the extra missions.

i mean, i sort of see it like... if i have only five minutes to play the game, i'd rather play a good game and then put the PSP into sleep mode than use that five minutes to play a substandard side mission that's really just busywork for my hands.

Pretty sure the "brilliant

Pretty sure the "brilliant plot device" comment about the DMW is more in reference to its role in the ending than the little memories you can see in it along the way. The memories are just a curiosity; the way it's used to evoke emotion in gameplay during the ending sequence could very well be the justification for its existence.

It's probably difficult to understand its contribution to the game's storytelling if you haven't played through the ending, but it really does help add to the power of an already-powerful playable scene.

I suppose one can't really expect a reviewer to finish a game if he doesn't care about the story, but it's kind of a pity not to see the ending in Crisis Core's case. (It can also lead to rather misleading parental recommendations; while the game remains tasteful and the most worrisome parts are passive, I know I'd think twice before letting a younger kid play that ending. It's certainly not just your typical swords-and-sorcery fare, even if the rest of the game is mostly harmless.)

If you played FFVII, you KNOW the ending

If you played through FFVII, you already know how this game is going to end. Maybe not the specifics, but you already know the final sequence, since it's taken verbatim from a cutscene (albeit a secret one) in FFVII.

The DMW is just braindead, and it pisses me off to see how many reviews praise the stupid thing. It's a horrible idea and it should never be repeated. Its use in the ending, while poignant (I guess), doesn't override it being a horrible game mechanic.

Nearly every time the thing activated I found myself thinking (or shouting) "screw you, I don't need your help!" I'd rather just play the game without the stupid thing. Sadly thanks to all advancement occurring through it, just throwing on the Cursed Ring (it stops the DMW) and playing that way is infeasible.

I am a huge FF7 fan but that

I am a huge FF7 fan but that aside i agree that the fighting system in CC is fairly boring and repetitive and i personally hated the side missions. But i would still give the game an 8 or 9 because RPG's are not built on there combat but on there story and story telling. the cinematics in game and the overall presentation of the game is incredible the story is presented in a way that rivals the original. that presentaion is why we play RPG's not there combat systems if you want a fun game for gameplay pick up God of War not a final fantasy

I think you got it all

I think you got it all wrong, FFVIICC is the best PSP game ever. The graphics are amzing, the third person combat is brilliant and the materia fusion is a new way to create magic systems. You need to wake up and smell the coffee because this is the greatest game outside of Final Fantasy VII. You need to get real, see a game for what it is

Your review about ffviicc

Your review about ffviicc sucks, you call yourself a game reviewer. You single handledly made yourself the worst ever. The game is brilliant, are you blind or somethin becuase I'll tell you, you suck cock

It's peple lik u who stuf up the gaming comunity 4 the rst of us

If it's wasting ur time then why stop to write a comment?

Ur one of those f.bags who'd fall in love with a pile of dog sh. if only it'd say 'final fantasy' on it.

Brad gave a great review from a gaming and entertainment perspective. Not from the perspective of the likes of you, u zombie sh.

Anonymous wrote: "THIS

Anonymous wrote:

"THIS QUOTE IS FOR THE ANONYMOUS ON MAY 17, 2008 - 11:49AM."

If it's wasting ur time then why stop to write a comment?

Ur one of those f.bags who'd fall in love with a pile of dog sh. if only it'd say 'final fantasy' on it.

Brad gave a great review from a gaming and entertainment perspective. Not from the perspective of the likes of you, u zombie sh.

"THIS QUOTE IS FOR THE ANONYMOUS ON MAY 17, 2008 - 11:49AM."

FFVII Crisis Core

Everyone has their own opinion. I respect your opinion about this game.
I am a hardcore fan of FFVII. I've never even had a psp before this game came out. I already knew what was going to happen but not in details. I pretty much mastered the original game. It also made me remember about some things that happened in FFVII, like when Aeris mentioned that her boyfriend is in SOLDIER and she recognized that Cloud is in SOLDIER because of his Mako infused eyes.

I do agree somehow about your opinion on the side missions. Most of them are almost the same except for the really hard missions and some of the special ones (Yuffie,Security and that SOLDIER 3rd class missions).

About the DMW. I did find it kind of redundant as well. I wish they could've done something about it when we could just press a button and it'll be an option to watch it. There're ways to get rid of the DMW and ways of controlling it as well. Like the curse ring and the DMW enhancing materias. That's were materia fusion is for because , for example you could make the Ifrit materia have VIT +100.

The only thing that i didn't like about the game is it didn't include the story on what happened to Cloud after the events. How did he met Barrett and became a Mercenary and joined "The Hottest Video Game Character Of All Time" Tifa. Those questions were left unanswered!!!!!

Well cloud met barret

Well cloud met barret because he was a mercenary and did jobs with barret, really no significant meeting. And as to Tifa :)
Cloud met her back when he was a child in the small town of Nibelhiem. It was a small town so everyone knew each other; and cloud was sort of the odd one out in that town. So Tifa sort of stood off to the side and spectacted on cloud's doings in this town. And Tifa was the bar owner of the 7th heaven where Barret's base was located in the basement.
And Cloud became a mercernary because him and Zack ran away from Shinra, and they were thinking of they should do; and the driver giving them a ride helped them to understand that they should be a 'jack of all trades' as Zack said. So after the incident with Zack, Cloud followed Zack's dreams of becoming a 'jack of all trades'

Hope this clears things up for you Israel :)

Reply

I pretty much already know everything that you just said. Thank you though.
What I really want to know are the events that happened when Cloud took the "Buster Sword" and before he jumped off the train in Final Fantasy VII. I can probably just leave it to my imagination. Although there was probably not much into that gap but I still would like to see it made even if it's just on a comic book or something. I don't think he just took off with the sword and met Tifa and Barrett just like that.

Thanks for the reply,
Israel

Really?

First off let me start by saying I agree with some of what you say, the DMW I hate that thing. FF7: CC is in all fairness a prequel to FF7, if you did not like FF7 then chances are you will be biased and not like this game. Crisis Core was made for fans of FF7 to deepen the relationship with the characters and forge a better understanding of the story. I myself enjoyed the game for the nostalgic memories it brought to me and the plot, which at times was confusing but is expected when translating from one language to another. The battle system is not my favorite I prefer turn based system much like FF7 although I think a FFX system would have worked better here. The story is immersing and the characters are likable all together. It is not the shining pearl of the Final Fantasy universe but it is a good game and I think deserves a better review than that obviously biased one you gave to it. 9 out of 10

thanks for your

thanks for your comments.

just to clarify, i am a fan of FF7, but i think there's a difference between being a fan and being a superfan, or even being a superfan and an extreme mad otaku fan.

i totally don't mean any disrespect to anybody here at all, but a person's got to be pretty far into the more hardcore side of FF7 fandom to get much out of Crisis Core, IMO.

There's really nothing wrong with that, but the game would have fared much better if it had spent more time on being a better *game* overall, and not just fanservice for the Aeris Faithful. the potential's there for sure, it just needed more work and some tweaks in order to feel like a more rounded project.

I can appreciate what Crisis Core does, but as a game it's just not very good.

It was good

I really can't see how you didn't like. Maybe it was a bit boring at the start but so are a lot of games. If you didn't completed the story then you can't give it a proper review. The character were perfect, the twisted and twisted until you didn't know who to like and who to hate and then the final scences of the game tie into togther into a really great game. Crisis core was the reason i brought a psp, i haven't even played alot of final fantasy games, but i thought it looked good and i was right.

So if you love a game full of emotion, a beautiful sound track and great characters then buy this game.

i think the fact that i

i think the fact that i found it *SO BORING* that i couldn't stand playing it until the end sort of says something, but hey... YMMV. ; )

Crsis Core

Being a huge fan of the Amazing Final Fantasy VII, I have to say i personally enjoyed this game. The graphics are the best i have seen on the PSP console and the story answers alot of questions created by FFVII. I enjoyed the new combat mode and found it a very gripping, being able to move around the boss and being able to Dodge attacks was great fun. I think this review has badmouthed this game way more then it deserves. The missions should have been mentioned.

I think this Review is way over the top, you should play this game for fun instead of playing it just to find weak points. Play it like a true FF fan.

I dont feel that anyone can

I dont feel that anyone can ever give a full review of a game that they havent finished. If you dont like the gameplay thats fine, state that you dont like the mechanics of the game. However being an UNBIASED reviewer would mean reviewing all aspects of a game and not saying giving up on it after 30 minute intervals. To all of the interested people, the game starts off slow storywise but thats nothing new.

The story is great, and graphically its the best thing on the psp so far. Compared to almost all other PSP games out there this game rocks. Have fun and I hope you enjoy it.

First of all I'm jealous of

First of all I'm jealous of Brad Gallaway. The man gets paid for arguing with FF fanboys. If that isn't a dream job for a cynical gamer, I don't know what is.

Second of all, this game does indeed deserve a maximum of 7 out of 10. The graphics are good but they are unnecessary. Did anyone ever see the cutscenes? Why do they have to be so long? Back in the olden days games featured simple dialouge and simple expressions from the 16 bit characters faces that made you use your imagination. That was more fun, like reading a book. This is more like Hollywood crap being forced down your throat.

Third of all, the gameplay indeed sucks. It is only mashing buttons, and at least in Kingdom Hearts or Secret of Mana you had more control over the whole situation. Like jumping, pulling combos, having two side-kicks that added a dimension of teamwork to the whole thing. Here you are Zack F'ing Fair for the whole game. And what kind of name is Zack Fair?

Fourth, FF fanboys are sick man. Can't anybody have a negative opinion? The world is heading into a messed up direction I tell ya, cause the people insulting Brad Gallaway about how awesome this game is maybe weren't even born when FF7 came out. This game is not awesome. How about the side missions? If you play the side missions the game will become way too easy. They should've balanced it more.

Fifth, I just wish I didn't end up buying this game by mistake while I was actually trying to buy FF Tactics: War of The Lions. Final Fantasy is good, but not all of it. Occassionally, knowing that their customers are fiercely loyal, they WILL empty your pockets when they have to in the name of corporate culture.

PS To the Anonymous guy who

PS To the Anonymous guy who wrote before me saying that "I don't think anyone should rate a game without having finished it" is saying something like "I don't think anyone should talk about drugs without having tried it" or "I don't think any man should talk about what women need without having been in a woman's position sexually"... If you don't like something, you don't like it. If you force yourself to like it, like say, sitting through a movie you don't like, or, playing a game that you actually don't like, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have an opinion, it means that you are a lifeless piece of s. who can afford to spend time on matters that actually don't interest you.

Again, Brad Gallaway, thank you man. Thank you for being one of the few people who see the faults in a mass marketed product that feeds of the idiots and makes them feel "happy".

crisis critic

It seems to me that the critic is not fond of these types of games. This is a good game nowhere near a 35 percentile. I can bet my life on it. I can guess anyone responding to this would say "well then your as good as dead", so save it. I wouldnt want the view of a hard core flight sim fan on crisis core, simply because it would give a biased result. That said i would also not want the view of a hard core final fantasy fan, since that would also be a biased review. If you dont like the "GENRE" then please dont review it since it gives a false view.
I like ALL games ALMOST equally and i would give crisis core 85-90% if you'v played ff7. If you havent then i guess that would drop to 75-80%.
The thing with final fantasy games is that there is always more to do than just following the story... The missions are there for that reason. They are not mandatory. If you dont like the missions then dont do them.

metacritics

Have a look on metacritics.com... They take the average rating of 15+ sites on crisis core. And the average is 83%. On there list this review is an outlier and in statistics an outlier which occurs naturally must have a cause. Here the reason is that the average score is not a representative of the whole gaming comunity. i.e. there is a side of the game brad (and some others) personally dont like. Dont mistake this game as an action fighting game. Its an actionized final fantasy game.
I guess ff has earned their own genre name. Since many ppl like it.

In reply to one of the anonymous's...How can you say they are ripping fans off coz they know they will still buy it? Have you played the game? Are you stupid? Look at the amount of effort put in! I doubt they would put that much effort for "a ripoff" dont you?

Also there are a few ppl above who mentioned ff fans are sick, mindles or whatever cant be bothered to look but along those lines. Why do you say that? If there are so many ff fans getting angry at reviews that bring the game down then they're just fighting for what they love... that makes them a true final fantasy fan. I am not a hardcore fan but i really feel sorry for you guys for not being able to appreciate the true quality of ff. Remember its not action... its an actionized ff game. ACTIONIZED!

Yeah this is the angry

Yeah this is the angry anonymous ranter from August 6. August 16, if you think this game deserves anything higher than a 7, I have one thing to say to you. As Zack would say to Genesis(when he is being helped no less)..... Mind your own business?!?

To the above august 6

your an idiot.... dont tell ppl what to like. ppl dont judge you coz you dont eat spinach do they? and i dont care if you actually do eat spinach.your an idiot...
lol anyone giving it more than 7 is this n dat... stfu. and also in an argument or discussion you have to give reason to your reply. give the REASON why you think ppl givin it more than 7 dont kno what they're tlkn bout. plus thats YOUR oppinion, YOURS... Get it in to your little tiny microscopic head that not everyone is....you.And to diss them just because of it... welll...whatever.
This is a place where you come on... read the review...read others' comments and comment yourself on how YOU think it was not about if more than 7 crap.Go and play lego land or something coz im off to play games on my psp.its tekken and ill whoop your ass on it grrr

I gave you the reason already August 16

When I told you to mind your own business I was actually quoting the game and you know it... Every time I get the Genesis DMW I immediately put the PSP on mute, because having to hear that line one more time will really make me wanna kill myself.

Tekken you say? I'll make you wish you weren't alive with that Chinese schoolgirl, be-atch!!!

Explain please

I'd very much like the author of this article to justify how he can give a score of 3.5 to a game whose majority of reviews are AAA, as in, 90% or more. Even Gamespot, the biggest review site, gave it a 9.0 out of 10, and PSX Extreme gave it a 98%. Gamepro: 95%. Worth Playing: 93%. Play Magazine: 90%. The list goes on.

I mean, I can understand that opinions can vary, but this is supposed to be a professional review. And when it deviates THIS much from everyone else's opinion, it's time to scrap the review and have someone else do it over again. Hopefully no one gets turned off from this amazing game by this horrible review.

[b]I'd very much like the

>I'd very much like the author of this article to justify how he >can give a score of 3.5 to a game whose majority of reviews are >AAA, as in, 90% or more.

Justfiy it? Did you even read the review? My justification is right there, in print.

What sense does it make to give a game the exact same score other reviewers did if I hated the game? just because a bunch of yeasayers gave it a green light, why should I?

If you disagree with the review, that's cool... but saying the game deserves a better score *just because* other reviewers gave it one makes no sense at all.

You hate this game more than

You hate this game more than any other reviewer on the planet, congratulations. Snide remarks about FFVII nerds might make a reviewer for an obscure gaming website such as yourself feel cool, but they just show you went in with preconceived notions about this game.

You won't find other reviews claiming the gameplay is terrible, every other review thinks the Action RPG elements that are the core of the game are at worst decent, and many recognize the depth & variety the comes from using the excellent Materia Fusion system. Your review can be safely consigned to the internet's trash can as if you played the game for zero hours, rather than three or four.

it's called an opinion

Everyone needs to step back and chill out. This is an opinion on the game from one perspective. Aren't people allowed to formulate their own opinions without being attacked over them?

I just started to play CC and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I agree with Brad on his take on the combat system, although you can put more strategy into it if you wanted to. But for the most part, he is right, it is not necessary and you can just spam attack. I don't mind this and am enjoying the game anyway.

Opinions? ofcourse everyones

Opinions? ofcourse everyones entitled to an opinion. even those who are attacking brads review. Its their opinion on his review :P

This was a pretty poor

This was a pretty poor review, Brad. I seriously hope you're unpaid or at least part-time as you appear to be highly unprofesional. If you're going to review a game poorly, that's fine, but surely you need to have experienced a substantial proportion of the game (basically completing the game) before doing so.

I can understand your negative comments but when you say that the combat is overly simplistic and easy (hammering attack) you obviously didn't play very long. Combat on the normal difficulty, especially at the start can be as simplistic as you mentioned. However, there is also a harder difficulty level which poses more of a challenge where a bit more strategy is required. If you'd bothered to do your job as a reviewer you might have noticed this.

You also mention in the consumer guide you played without any sound. I have to ask how you can write a review of a game when one of the most important aspects of the game experience (although often overlooked) is the sound and music. Again, highly unprofesional.

Lastly, a good review, even if it's of a bad game usually looks at both positive and negative qualities of a game. You fail to mention positive (and even some negative- stealth section anyone?) aspects of the game, due to your lack of playtime. I usually like debating with reviewers over the merits and bugs of a game, but with you I can't even do that. You didn't even do the bare minimum for a review!

Getting sort of tired

Getting sort of tired responding to this thread, so this'll probably be the last one.

Biscuit wrote:

This was a pretty poor review, Brad. I seriously hope you're unpaid or at least part-time as you appear to be highly unprofesional. If you're going to review a game poorly, that's fine, but surely you need to have experienced a substantial proportion of the game (basically completing the game) before doing so.

Poor review? it's a poor game... but hey, if you disagree with my write-up, that's cool with me.

that said, IMO it's not necessary to finish a game if it's so poor that there's no incentive for doing so and it's stated in the review that the game was unfinished. if a burger's rancid, do you need to eat the whole thing to be able to say it's rotten? nothing in the last hour of the game could have possibly salvaged the miserable time i had with it.

Quote:

I can understand your negative comments but when you say that the combat is overly simplistic and easy (hammering attack) you obviously didn't play very long. Combat on the normal difficulty, especially at the start can be as simplistic as you mentioned. However, there is also a harder difficulty level which poses more of a challenge where a bit more strategy is required. If you'd bothered to do your job as a reviewer you might have noticed this.

I don't know a single reviewer on the planet that has enough time to not only finish a game, but to give it a thorough run-through on all difficulty levels. if a game's solid, it should be enjoyable to play on any setting. Besides, my compaint wasn't that it was too easy, it was just too dull.

Quote:

You also mention in the consumer guide you played without any sound. I have to ask how you can write a review of a game when one of the most important aspects of the game experience (although often overlooked) is the sound and music. Again, highly unprofesional.

i didn't say i NEVER had the sound on, i said i played it for long stretches without the sound. what, you've never played a handheld at work? As for music being one of the most important aspects, i'd disagree-- but then again, everybody's entitled to an opinion. what i can definitively say is that music had no impact either way on my review of the game.

Quote:

Lastly, a good review, even if it's of a bad game usually looks at both positive and negative qualities of a game. You fail to mention positive (and even some negative- stealth section anyone?) aspects of the game, due to your lack of playtime. I usually like debating with reviewers over the merits and bugs of a game, but with you I can't even do that. You didn't even do the bare minimum for a review!

if there were positives i would have mentioned them. personally, i didn't see anything to mention except the graphics, and graphics don't count for much with me. reviewing isn't about having a 'good' and 'bad' column and making sure each one's exactly as long as the other-- some games just suck, and IMO this is one of them.

there are *plenty* of reviews on the 'net that gush all over this game, but i found it to be a pretty sorry piece of software gussied up in some nice eye candy. sorry you disagree, but that's the way i saw it.

thanks to everybody for the comments.

Totally Agree!

To make it clear, I LOVE final fantasy to bits. I've played it from 6-10. But this Crisis Core is only good for one thing: showcasing the sweet, sweet romance between Zack and Aerith. Brad, you were 100% right on the money. The gameplay is so horribly uneven and dull that it detracts from the whole experience. I almost threw the PSP against the wall every single time a stupid grunt casts Death on me, and I died. Then I've got to restart the whole mission, mindlessly x-bashing from Point A to Point B. To get good stuff, you have to play the mission, but really what's the point? I killed the final boss in about 3x, average number of tries for an RPG, and without all the fancy hard core gizmos. And to think people complained about turn based style. To conclude, FFX had perfected the gameplay, why isn't Square Enix using that gameplay for all its other Final Fantasies?! Thanks man for your honest, unbiased review.

Fanservice? But I wasn't a fan...

I find this review and many of the comments made here comical on both sides. There seems to be an awful lot of assumptions going on. For one, I find it amusing that the reviewer is apparently not allowed to dislike the game. Just because the reviewer's opinion differs from the majority, it doesn't mean that he "needs to get real," or that he is "blind." He simply has different tastes.

I also find it amusing that many of the people who hate the game use the argument that anyone who likes Crisis Core has to be a rabid Final Fantasy fan who would eat up any "fanservice piffle" dished out to them. This so-called "fanservice piffle" of a game appealed to me greatly, and I have never played a wink of the original Final Fantasy VII game.

I'm not a big gamer in general, and I only played the first few final fantasy games briefly back in the days of Nintendo and Super Nintendo. I fell in love with the Zelda series instead, and thought the Final Fantasy fighting style was rather dull, so when the new consoles branched out, I followed Zelda on the Nintendo systems and gave up on Final Fantasy completely. I've always been aware of the comparisons made between Zelda and Final Fantasy, but it was just chance that I ended up hearing about the newest Final Fantasy game for the PSP, and finally decided to give it another shot.

All I can say is WOW! I absolutely LOVE this game! I enjoyed the fighting much more than the turn based fighting of the original Final Fantasy games, even if I do still prefer the openness of Zelda battles. The storyline sucked me in so thoroughly that I could overlook the minor complaints I still had on the battling system, and eventually it even started to grow on me.

So as an outsider with no exposure to Final Fantasy beyond the first few original Nintendo games, I can testify that this game does not appeal only to rabid fangirls/boys in need of major fanservice. This game spoke to me as a game with an extremely intelligent and interesting plot, a much improved fighting style, and graphics that are almost out of this world. Of course, I'm only one person, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who has discovered Final Fantasy in a new light through this game.

I feel like I should go back and take a look at the original FF7, afterall.

i totally agree with you on

i totally agree with you on that, and i personally think that's how all games should be reviewed xD
if you don't like rpg games, you dont freaking review an rpg game. its common sense. and if you have to review all sorts of games, you should be able to like all game types.
i enjoyed crisis core, but you have to take it really fast, and pick up on the moving at the edges more as you make that learning curve--avoid the random battles! its sad that many don't realize that aspect and it does ruin some part of the experience for people...
levelling is never actually needed in crisis core--you just have to pick up on the materia fusion to up the stats. that being said, the fact that materia fusion isnt even in this review doesnt give me hope at all that this review is competent. at least finishing the game, although it was not very thrilling, i would at least have some hope in the reviewer's perseverance for games.

CC:FF VII

I honestly think that CC:FF VII is a great PSP game and that this review is crap. I could understand if you went through every aspect of the game and then gave a bad review but you didn't even finish the damn thing. I know that the combat and DMW systems suck but those are not good reasons. And I read the review. The FMV's were awesome and summon cutscenes were also pretty freaking awesome themselves. I 've never played the original FFVII. But beat the damn game next time before you write a review.

What the fuck is wrong with

What the fuck is wrong with you? I know theres been some bad reviews for this game and i was abit startled to see some sixes etc. but then i came across this swollen BS and my god... I couldn't wait to see what Retarded Nerd would review such a great game with such a bad score... I read it and wondered What kind OF Xboxlivehalolovingmotherfucker claims to be a reviewer and reviews it so poorly? I looked at other reviews on the site and i just have to say, FUCK U!!!

Woah!

BradGallawayisashitdickcunt wrote:

What the fuck is wrong with you? I know theres been some bad reviews for this game and i was abit startled to see some sixes etc. but then i came across this swollen BS and my god... I couldn't wait to see what Retarded Nerd would review such a great game with such a bad score... I read it and wondered What kind OF Xboxlivehalolovingmotherfucker claims to be a reviewer and reviews it so poorly? I looked at other reviews on the site and i just have to say, FUCK U!!!

Damn dude, it's not like he raped your mom or something, he just gave some game a low score. Chill out.

The more comments i read

The more comments i read from people who refute this review, the lower my opinion of them falls. Clearly, Crisis Core is the new Legend of Dragoon.

Can we all say MOO?

Looks to me that Square Enix is just milking the Final Fantasy 7 franchise even more. Don't get me wrong, I liked the original Final Fantasy 7 game. Instead of making all these knock off Final Fantasy games, Square should just remake Final Fantasy 7 [Same exact game] with newer graphics for the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360.

My Humble Opinion!!!!

Hi, I'm just inputting my opinion here. I completely agree with Brad's review of DMW. It really is not worth putting in and I think it would have been better if they stuck with the original Turn-based system. In FFVII and FFX the battles with the monsters were also repetitive and boring so I don't really think it's fair for you to criticize FF7 CC for that aspect.

The plot I found was really good but perhaps they didn't explain it in the best way and it isn't completely terrible. And the thing about the sidequests is (IMO) mainly for the fans who actually want to do everything instead of just finishing focusing on finishing the story. If you don't need to do the sidequests, then just don't do it instead of commenting on how unrelated it is to the main story.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that this game may not have been the best, but I don't think it is fair if you say that this game is a failure.

i beat the game and need cheats

well i beat the game and need cheats HELP!!!!!!!:)

Crisis core was a bad game.

Crisis core was a bad game. The story was awful and conflicted with the true/original story. gameplay was redundant at best. oh boy im button mashing... ima chargin meh fireball. wait i dont need to ill just stab it... the ATB system would have been a refreshing blast of nastalgia aswell would have been a backstory that didnt have a goofy redhaired know-it-all through out the game... The fact you only play as zack was somewhat of a let down.. i expected an ATB system with party mode of course and fighting beside sephiroth and cloud(like the flashback from the original). yes it was new but the only people that love the game were fanboys and girls that didnt play the original when it was first released.. if you liked it i dont hate you.. but saying it was great is an insult to the storyline from the original game..

-

Wow, the fanboy rage here is hilarious.

N/A

Anonymous wrote:

I honestly think that CC:FF VII is a great PSP game and that this review is crap. I could understand if you went through every aspect of the game and then gave a bad review but you didn't even finish the damn thing. I know that the combat and DMW systems suck but those are not good reasons. And I read the review. The FMV's were awesome and summon cutscenes were also pretty freaking awesome themselves. I 've never played the original FFVII. But beat the damn game next time before you write a review.

Gameplay is the most important aspect of a game. If the gameplay sucks, there's no point in boasting about its ZOMGawesome cutscenes or holywtf story.

seriously doubts reviewer's competancy

im going to assume that this reviewer played the game on the easier mode, because just spamming the attack button on hard will get you killed by most of the generic encounters. I dont think the battle system is top notch, but it is a lot more in depth then this guy lets on. +materia fusion is pretty neat, im constantly leveling up my materia just to see what i can make next.

I havent played the game on the normal mode but on the hard it is a pretty good challenge where you can easily die with just 3 seconds of inattentive battle.

I highly recomend this game for psp owners, and any Final Fantasy fan should definitely pick it up, just know its not typical FF combat or leveling.

Ummm...

For giving this a 3.5/5, this seems pretty nasty. It really sounds like you're giving it a 1.

It's not 3.5/5, it's 3.5/10.

It's not 3.5/5, it's 3.5/10. ; )

Never mind, it was out of

Never mind, it was out of 10, haha. Now it makes much more sense!

Brilliant Series

I've got to say this game was amazing. I've played 6( or 3 on super nintendo) through XIII and I've got to say each game is totally different sure it captures similar themes and myths that all final fantasies are centered around. They are totally different to claim this game is really similar to the others is moronic. Each one is individually unique you obviously have yet to divulge yourself in other of final fantasies. I've played many RPGs as well such Shin Megami Tensei by the way another fantastic RPG one of my favourites as well. Final Fantasy is just so engrossing in its story telling, graphics and gameplay that is what makes them superb. I loved each and every single of them and I've got to say that instead of looking at the flaws, try and look at the points at what why it is claimed by many to be an amazing game. Its okay to not like a game, I understand, even though I loved this game, but you should claim the series to be going downhill especially since each and every game unique within itself. Truly a remarkable series.

Admittedly, the story is

Admittedly, the story is hugely disappointing and generally all-around bad.

Still, when played on hard mode, the game offers a satisfying challenge that has not been matched by many games.

I've not been a big fan of

I've not been a big fan of the Final Fantasy series in general. From what I know most games pick up in plot and poignancy later and later in the series. It was with quite some hesitation I decided to pick up Crisis Core.
I believe it to be a worthwhile purchase. I've been a fan of the shin megami tensei series as well as star ocean and this game fits in a lot with the latter. The "random" advancement from the DMW is not really all that random. It seems to just be a kind of crazy visual to intensify the amount of action onscreen.
While the game's combat system was nitpicked to death in this review and a schism built between "hardcore FF7" fans and "everyone else" I feel that the review is not at all comprehensive or mature. I mean mature in the sense that it compares this game to no other hand-held jrpgs, offers nothing more than "why I dislike design choice X" and a heaping of assumptions that if you like this game you must worship the ground FF7 layed the foundation for.
I think that discussing the mechanics from a neutral standpoint and then throwing in a brief opinion about how they worked for YOU may be a better way to go in the future. As my first real foray into the series (I've played FF7, X and IV--ds style-- but just could not stay through the opening tedium because I really don't think errand running or lengthy introductions all that fantastic a story hook) I really enjoyed the game.
I was surprised that so much of the review was about the DMW with nary a discussion on sound, music, voice acting, portability, time consumption and restraints or anything in terms of artistic design, the recreation of old environments in real time 3d, characters or character development. The totality of this "review" feels like an otaku post in the comments section of a far more indepth analysis of a game.
Please be more comprehensive in the future.

I would rate this review a 6 out of 10, the game an 8 of 10.

Final Fantasy Fanboys don't get it

I only got a PSP a little earlier this year (hand me down from my bro), and I'm unashamedly a huge fan of FF7, it was my first RPG & I've enjoyed few RPGs as much as it. So naturally I want to play the prequel.

I was really looking forward to it, I was. But Brad's review really sums it up. The side quest things are boring as hell and have nothing to do with the story - which itself is pretty lame. I've played at least half of the game & there's been nothing that seems to have anything to do with FF7 - oh, besides Sephiroth, who appears 10 minutes in, so the real fanboys don't have to play for too long before they can start masterbating.

The battles really can be beaten by mashing X. Anything you can win by mashing one button over and over IS BAD GAMEPLAY. Even the abomination that is quick time events would have been more immersive, and QTE is worth a rant on its own. Imagine if you could beat R-type soley with the shoot button, or mario by only holding right. They would be no fun - just like CC.

I can't stand people saying that people who don't like it "don't get it", because there is simply very little to get. Squeenix could poop in your face and you'd say "It's the tastiest thing ever - you just don't get it". The gameplay is crap, side quests do nothing except tack on gaming hours because Squeenix didn't care enough about a substantial story & knew people would pay money just because it's mildly FF7 related. It'd be like making the battle arena in FF7 constitute more gameplay than the rest of the entire fucking game where the story is occuring. Angeal and... Genesis? They're not even trying with the names ffs.

The reason fanboys get so hard for this game is that it could have been written by one of them.

Unbiased Opinion of Mine

I hope Mr. Brad is still interested in reading comments about this title as more than 2 years have passed since the time he wrote the review. Now, first things first.

a) I have seen FF 7 running on a PC but I haven't played much of it.
b) I like playing RPGs on my PC.
c) I understand that FF and other Japanese RPGs have a typical gameplay that is different than say, gameplay found in Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, etc.

So here it is. In simple, unbiased words. And from the perspective of a gamer, not a head over heels FF lover.

Pros:
a) good graphics. Top notch.
b) nice cutscenes.

Cons:
a) frustrating gameplay.
b) frustrating gameplay.
c) frustrating gameplay.
d) Overhyped reviews on other sites (Due to aggressive FF lobbyists ?)
e) frustrating gameplay.

Verdict:
Thanks Brad for making me feel better. I was forcing myself to like this game but you have let out what I feel. I really wanted to like FF and Japanese RPGs in general. But random-repetitive-frustrating gameplay ? No thanks, not in my fantasy.

3.5 is too generous

I bought the game for 10 bucks, and I don't like it. The developers did not put much thought into the environments. For example, Sector 8 has areas that are blocked off by a red dotted line, and streets that have invisible walls. I contest that the graphics do not look that great, as Sector 8, like many of the environments up to that point, were cheaply made; look at the red velvet ropes in front of the huge loveless poster. There are also very few random characters walking around ... Midgar should be busier, I think. Perhaps everyone was born or moved into Midgar in the intervening 7 years. However, I do concede that the enemies are nicely done.

I am also disappointed with the character appearances; the SOLDIER elites have such impressive 3D biceps. I assume that most FFVII fans are nerds ... so why are so many happy to play as characters that act and resemble football jocks? I do not want to play as a character that overdoses on creatine.

The rock music with distorted guitars is also unwelcome; unlike the author, Brad, I have played through Final Fantasy VII three times, and completed all side quests, beat all the weapons, got all of Aeris' limit breaks, etc., and one of the greatest things about the original FFVII was the music. In this game, SquareEnix has opted for obnoxiousness instead of elegance.

Whereas Cloud was dark and interesting, Zack is naive and annoying. It was cool to see Yuffie in Wutai.

The only thing I enjoyed in the first 2 hours of my experience with Crisis (besides seeing Yuffie) was seeing the steam rising from the floor in Sector 8 where Aeris stood at the very beginning of FFVII, in the CG sequence. I felt very nostalgic.

And so far I have been able to just press x repeatedly and wait for the DMV to do whatever it wants to. Seems like poor combat because I can just keep my eyes closed for most of it.

I am a FFVII fanboy, but I have not lost my mind; this game sucks. The music sucks, the gameplay sucks, the linear environments suck, and the graphics are ok. Can't really comment on the story at this point, I think I'll just read about it on wikipedia.

There was one reviewer who invoked statistics in explaining away this review as an outlier. That may work in a science lab, but we are talking about people's opinions here. For example: 9/10 people in N. Korea adore their Leader, but the other 1/10 must be outliers and therefore need to be corrected, right? Nonsense.

I once yearned for a FFVII remake ... but with Crisis, I now doubt SquareEnix's ability to do any good, and hope they just leave it alone. I haven't played FFXIII, but knowing that it's about another damn crystal, and after playing this game, I'm pretty sure SquareEnix is all dried up.

And yes, I only played it for 2 hours. Life is just too short to find out just how much this game sucks.

Crisis Core VII Is The Best

I loved this game, I didn’t care for the ending but it was the best game ever at least to me next to Dragoneers Aria. I wish my PSP worked still. After I played the game I ended up dropping my PSP and it broke *Cries* but its a great game! Unless you have a stragtegy RPG playing two year old. I wouldn’t recommend it for them.

Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core

Well I can't say I don't agree with alot of Brad's review, but I do have to say that I truely enjoyed FF7CC. The CGI in the game is some of the best I've ever seen! The ingame grafics are outstanding! And I loved the music. But like Brad said, I thought the DMW system was strange. It took just to much control out of the players hands. But in the end, I just couldn't help but love this game. It has a certain charm that just completly engulfs you. I would have to rate this game 8.5 out of 10. It's a great game, and a awesome part of the Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy 7 family.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Code of Conduct

Comments are subject to approval/deletion based on the following criteria:
1) Treat all users with respect.
2) Post with an open-mind.
3) Do not insult and/or harass users.
4) Do not incite flame wars.
5) Do not troll and/or feed the trolls.
6) No excessive whining and/or complaining.

Please report any offensive posts here.

For more video game discussion with the our online community, become a member of our forum.

Our Game Review Philosophy and Ratings Explanations.

About Us | Privacy Policy | Review Game | Contact Us | Twitter | Facebook |  RSS
Copyright 1999–2010 GameCritics.com. All rights reserved.