Chi Kong Lui
- Member for
- 8 years 3 weeks
- view recent blog entries
- Owner, Founder, Web Designer and Critic
- chi [at] gamecritics [dot] com
- Brief Bio
In the 1980s, Chi grew up in small town on the outskirts of New York City called Jackson Heights. Latino actor, John Leguizamo referred to the town as the "melting pot of the world," and while living there, Chi was exposed to many diverse cultures, as well as a bevy of arcade classics such as Pac-Man, Space Ace, Space Harrier and Double Dragon. Chi's love of videogames only seemed to grow as his parents finally caved and bought him an 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System (after being the only kid in the block without one). In the 1990s, Chi finagled his way into the prestigious Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School for the Performing Arts.
Somewhere between all the gaming, Chi some how managed to finish high school and get into the New York Institute of Technology. At the same time, Chi also interned at Virtual Frontiers, an Internet software consultancy where he learned the ways of HTML. Soon after acquiring his BFA, Chi went on to become the lead Web designer of the Anti-Defamation League. During his tenure there, Chi was instrumental in redesigning and relaunching the non-profit organization's Web site.
Today, Chi is the webmaster of the American Red Cross in Greater New York and somehow managed to work through the tragic events of September 11th without losing his sanity. Chi considers GameCritics.com his life's work and continues to be amazed that the web site is still standing after the recent dotcom fallout. It is his dream that GameCritics.com will accomplish two things: 1) Redefine the grammar of videogames much the same way French film critic Andre Bazin did for the art of cinema and 2) bring game criticism to the forefront of mainstream culture much the same way Siskel & Ebert did for film criticism.
- Ten All-Time Favorites Games
- Civilization (PC), Double Dragon (Arcade), GoldenEye 007 (N64), Mechwarrior (PC), Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (SNES), River City Ransom (NES), Street Fighter 2 (Arcade), Tekken 2 (PlayStation), UN Squadron (SNES), Wing Commander (PC)
- Five Current Favorites Games
- Way of the Samurai 3 (360), UFC 2009 Undisputed (360), Demon's Souls (PS3), Rock Band 2 (360), Lips (360)
Most Recent Work
|Observations from PAX East 2012: What's old is new again||Apr 12 2012 - 5:31pm|
|Observations from PAX East 2012: Are video game gimmicks finally maturing?||Apr 11 2012 - 8:39am|
|GameCritics.com Podcast Seeking New Host||Jan 11 2012 - 3:21pm|
|Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked Review||Nov 30 2011 - 7:18pm|
|Video Game Collector Deals: Tetris Link||Nov 21 2011 - 10:03am|
Code of Conduct
1) Treat all users with respect.
2) Post with an open-mind.
3) Do not insult and/or harass users.
4) Do not incite flame wars.
5) Do not troll and/or feed the trolls.
6) No excessive whining and/or complaining.
Please report any offensive posts here.