About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

The dilemma of Monster Hunter online and Mass Effect 2's stupid plot

Brad Gallaway's picture

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Screenshot

So a while ago I gave up on my dream of completely finishing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP) since the upper-rank missions are clearly designed for team play, and I've been unable to find a group of people to quest with. However, my good friend @SilentHitoshura recently got into the game in a big way and I've also made contact with a few other folks who were interested in getting a group going.

Score, right? Well, not exactly.

First, the PSN outage killed any potential of long-distance connection since MHFU only supports local play. There is a program available on PS3 called AdHoc Party which acts as a local hub to enable long distances between players, but we all know what's been going on with Sony's online presence.

As an alternative, I checked into Xlink Kai, which is an independent program created to allow games to connect over long distances, much the same way as Sony's program works. However, I was unfortunate enough to purchase a new computer when they were still being bundled with Vista, and as anyone knows, Vista doesn't work with anything. In fact, Vista barely even works. I am personally of the opinion that Microsoft owes every Vista owner a free copy of Windows 7, but since they aren't handing them out yet, I refuse to pay any more money for another OS. (I didn't want to deal with the hassle of changing over, either.) As a result, Xlink Kai was not a viable option.

As of Monday, PSN reinstated limited functionality which would have been good enough to finally get a game going until I discovered that AdHoc Party does not work with 20GB PS3 non-wifi models.

The type of 20GB I have does not sport native wi-fi connectivity, but I figured that an adapter or some type of device could be purchased to enable a connection. Unfortunately, from what I've read so far, that assumption was wrong. I'm not exactly clear on what the problem is, but it seems as though there isn't a third-party piece of equipment that will make my 20GB work in the proper way with AdHoc Party. So, it seems as though my only option is to trade in for a newer model.

(As a side note, I was recently informed that GameStop had sent out e-mails offering $100 off the purchase of a new PS3 for certain members of their discount-card club, of which I’ve been a part of for somewhere in the neighborhood of fifteen years or so. However, I did not get this e-mail so I did not get the coupon required for the $100 off. Thanks for nothing, GameStop.)

I have to admit that having so many barriers to get through has been very frustrating, but after putting over 300 hours into MHFU, it seems ridiculous to quit now that I've found a few people to help me out in putting down those nasty, nasty high-ranked monsters.

The quest will continue.

Apparently I'm the only person on the entire Internet who hasn't read this epic takedown of all the plot holes in Mass Effect 2 by Shamus Young. It's a great read, and if you (like me) were left feeling hollow and unsatisfied by the complete cop-out, let-down, WTF-are-they-serious?-ness of the game’s central storyline (yes, there was one) then this is required reading.

Thanks go out to @unangbangkay for pointing it out in his own blog, in which he has a novel solution for solving the Mass Effect 2 stupidness problem.

Category Tags
Platform(s): Xbox 360   PS3   PSP   PC  
Series: Mass Effect   Monster Hunter  
Genre(s): Role-Playing  

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Mass Effect 2

While I will cop to being an unabashed ME superfan, I'm not the type who'll just shout out invective for criticism without reading it through and considering it. However, you posting someone else's work and taking potshot insults is rather uncalled for in my opinion. If you want to voice your own complaint, fine, go for it. For you to say "Yeah, his insults are great, that game is stupid!" well... what is this, a Youtube comment?

Vista?

However, I was unfortunate enough to purchase a new computer when they were still being bundled with Vista, and as anyone knows, Vista doesn't work with anything. In fact, Vista
barely even works.

I hear so much complaining about Vista. Sometimes I almost think the several years I spent using it with no problems must have been my imagination.

Of course, there’s no denying that Windows 7 is better.

Anonymous wrote: While I

Anonymous wrote:

While I will cop to being an unabashed ME superfan, I'm not the type who'll just shout out invective for criticism without reading it through and considering it. However, you posting someone else's work and taking potshot insults is rather uncalled for in my opinion. If you want to voice your own complaint, fine, go for it. For you to say "Yeah, his insults are great, that game is stupid!" well... what is this, a Youtube comment?

Wait, what? You’re not allowed to voice your agreement on the Internet now?

Yes but

Not as a blog post. If I wrote a blog consisting of "here's someone else's opinion of x", "here's someone else's opinion of y", etc why would anyone read it? If I disagree, it's annoying to see them parroting it without adding to the conversation, and if I do agree, I don't get anything out of the bloggers agreement because, again, he didn't add anything. The proper place to voice agreement is in the comments of that guy's article. Or in an email to the writer if you strongly agree. Or as a preamble to your own specific opinion.

Anonymous wrote: Not as a

Anonymous wrote:

Not as a blog post. If I wrote a blog consisting of "here's someone else's opinion of x", "here's someone else's opinion of y", etc why would anyone read it? If I disagree, it's annoying to see them parroting it without adding to the conversation, and if I do agree, I don't get anything out of the bloggers agreement because, again, he didn't add anything. The proper place to voice agreement is in the comments of that guy's article. Or in an email to the writer if you strongly agree. Or as a preamble to your own specific opinion.

This makes no sense. A blog gives voice to one’s thoughts and opinions. If said thoughts and opinions happen to be, for the moment, “I agree with X” or “I found Y interesting”, it’s perfectly valid to say as much and link to those. It serves a purpose: it introduces the linked material to the part of one’s audience that hasn’t seen it before. (Such as myself, in this case.)

Okay fine

Giving your thoughts and opinions in brief? That's called a Facebook status update or a Twitter post. In my opinion, it's not actually a blog until you substantiate those feelings and let the reader know why you think what you think. Or you could say it's just a very poorly written blog, but I think Brad generally writes well.

Rather than go round and round in circles

Anonymous wrote:

Giving your thoughts and opinions in brief? That's called a Facebook status update or a Twitter post. In my opinion, it's not actually a blog until you substantiate those feelings and let the reader know why you think what you think. Or you could say it's just a very poorly written blog, but I think Brad generally writes well.

Rather than go round and round in circles—I’m frankly stunned that you think it’s unacceptable to link to an existing article that clearly says what you want to say—I’ll just leave it at: you’re entitled to your own opinion, as am I. And in my opinion, blog posts are not some sort of rigid medium which only allows a specific form of self-expression.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Code of Conduct

Comments are subject to approval/deletion based on the following criteria:
1) Treat all users with respect.
2) Post with an open-mind.
3) Do not insult and/or harass users.
4) Do not incite flame wars.
5) Do not troll and/or feed the trolls.
6) No excessive whining and/or complaining.

Please report any offensive posts here.

For more video game discussion with the our online community, become a member of our forum.

Our Game Review Philosophy and Ratings Explanations.

About Us | Privacy Policy | Review Game | Contact Us | Twitter | Facebook |  RSS
Copyright 1999–2010 GameCritics.com. All rights reserved.